[Lots...] Plugins keep randomly deactivating

Hi,
Every other day, I'm seeing 26 of my active plugins be deactivated.
Then when I check them all and bulk Activate, it will stop after 8 of them (leaving Membership Pro 2 deactivated still) and I'll have to check off the rest again and bulk Activate.
What is causing this to happen and how can we resolve it as soon as possible?
Thanks!

• Nahid

Hey Todd !
    Hope you are having a great day!

This is not at all an expected behavior and neither is a very common issue within WordPress. There could be a number of possibilities that could cause the plugins to deactivate themselves but we cannot come into a conclusion just yet without some extensive troubleshooting steps.

Does the site have any sort of automatic updates set up for the plugins? That could be a very possible reason behind the issue because if the automatic updates encounter any errors while running, it might not complete the process and thus, keep the plugins not-updated and deactivated. Another easy guess regarding the reason of the issue would be a conflicting plugin/the theme containing faulty code which might cause the plugins to deactivate themselves on specific scenarios.

In this situation, I'd firstly recommend you to enable debugging in WordPress, which might help us narrowing down the possible sources of the issue. You can enable debugging by putting the following constants in the wp-config.php file:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

These constants must be added before the line "/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */" for them to work. Please make sure that identical constants are replaced if they were already there previously.

Enabling debugging in WordPress will log any errors that the site encounters in a log file named "debug.log" located in the "wp-content" folder. After enabling debugging, you'll have to wait for the plugins to deactivate themselves again for the debug.log file to fill itself with the error logs.

Please upload the debug.log file in a cloud storage platform like Dropbox and attach the shared link in your next response so that we can take a look into it.

You can know more about WordPress debugging in this handy article.

Regarding the pause in the bulk activation process of plugins, that is a common scenario and can happen in case if a plugin is set up to redirect you to a certain "Welcome" page on activation. In that case, you'll have to select the remaining plugins and run the bulk activation process again.

Hope this helps. We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

• Todd

Thanks, Nahid!

The site doesn’t have automatic updates, I have been manually updating them. There were no updates run on the days these deactivations have been triggered. I have been keeping the plugins updated in general.

Conflicting plugins - possible. I just installed WooCommerce, AffilateWP, Woo Members, WooCommerce Memberships, WooCommerce One Page Checkout, WooCommerce Subscriptions.
    Are there known conflicts between WPMU plugins and those?

Debugging in the wp-config.php file: how does this work for multisite?
    I just want to confirm there won’t be any repercussions to the network if I paste in that code in the config.

• Nahid

Hey Todd !
    Hope you are doing well today!

WPMU DEV Plugins doesn't have any known conflicts with any plugins regarding the reported issue.

Debugging in WordPress is just adding WP_DEBUG in the wp-config.php file. WP_DEBUG is a PHP constant that triggers the "debug" mode throughout WordPress. Enabling it will just cause all PHP errors, notices and warnings to be displayed, regardless the fact that the installation is a single one or a multisite. You can know in detail about this constant in the WordPress codex here.

Enabling debugging shouldn't cause any issues/actions other than displaying the errors that the site encounters (if it does any) in the debug.log file mentioned in my previous response. It is always recommended to back the whole site up or at least the existing wp-config.php file before making the change to avoid any consequence caused due to incorrectly adding the code.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

• Dimitris

Hello there Todd,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind me chime in here! :slight_smile:

Could you please download the /wp-content/debug.log file from your server and attach it here in your next reply?

Additionally, please grant temporary support access to this installation, via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin, as described here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5
    Just let us know here in your next reply that access has been granted, as we don't get any notifications about it.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.