We have a handful of subscribers who are trying to become paying members but, for one reason or another, can't complete payment.
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to be specific, because it's hard enough getting people to report problems in the first place, and harder still to get useful data to begin diagnostics.
However, this is what appears to be happening:
• User signs up
• User subscribes to a membership level (we have multiple memberships enabled)
• User is invited to pay
• User is redirected to PayPal, where something goes wrong
• User makes second attempt to pay, but PayPal now says the invoice has been paid, and can't be paid again
• Meanwhile, user reports that M2P says their subscription is pending payment
• User is now stuck in some state of limbo.
• I can't find any trace of that user under "All members" (unsurprising)
• By querying the SQL table wp_users directly for the likely email address (the search function in billing doesn't always work), I can find an invoice in Drafts.
• It happens that I pull and record all PayPal transaction data elsewhere and, where a paid invoice shows a transaction with invnum=whatever, this failure case example shows no trace of any PayPal transactions with that invoice number.
• This is unsurprising because the payment hasn't been made, and creation of payment profiles don't record invoice numbers, so I can't even tell whether the profile got created by the payment failed.
• Though M2P has changed the way it records IPN transactions (and my CLI tool needs updating to cope), I can't find any apparent attempt by PayPal to send an IPN for that invoice number or for that payment profile creation either. Again, probably not surprising, but unhelpful since nothing matches the user's email address (but that's also unsurprising, he's probably using a different email address for his PayPal account).
It does not help that the Billing view's search function does not always work (eg searching for a record I can see right in front of me has no effect), or that the Billing view shows at most 20 records without any paging controls.
Everything points to a problem at PayPal, but I don't know what to tell our users or PayPal, because I can't find out what's going on.
Does any of this ring a bell? Have you heard of anything similar? And can you recommend any further courses of action, either wrt the user, M2P or PayPal?