M2PRO doesn't work with BuddyPress GROUPS

Need your expertise and advice. Added BP GROUPS and figured out that this activates for entire website ms-protection-mode. Deleting BP groups eliminates ms-protection-mode BUT since m2PRO don't work proper anymore - memberlist for registration is displayed without shortcode function (blank page appears).

To get membership registration working again

- cleared all caches (browser and site/blog)
- reset permalink
- de-/reactivated m2pro as well bp

but none of those steps solved the problem.

Please advice how to achieve function of m2pro shortcodes on its pages again?

Thanks
Brandon

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brandon,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I must say that I'm not sure if I understand the issue correctly. The Membership 2 Pro plugin should work fine with BuddyPress (including BPGroups) but I don't quite get what do you mean by:

- "activates entire website ms-protection-mode"
    - "memberlist for registration is displayed without shortcode"
    - "shortcodes on ITS page" (which/what page do you mean and which shortcodes)

It would be great if you could shed some more light on it for me.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Steven Zimmerman

Hi Adam,

how kind of you acting so promptly. Appreciate that much ...

After installing m2pro from scratch since the issue is solved, now new member registration is possible again BUT experience still issue with BuddyPress (Profile pages are missing).

However first I wish to solve m2pro issue. My problem is that after succesfull registration plus payment screen returns to a new registration form instead to main or any other site. Redirection add-on (m2pro) does not work out.

Any idea to that?

Thanks
    Brandon

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brandon!

Thanks for granting an access.

I tried to test the registration process on your site but unfortunately each time I click "Sign up" button I'm getting immediately redirected to the... "spam.abuse.net" page which doesn't even explain any reason.

I suppose that there's some extra security layer applied to the site. Do you think you could disable it or at least "loosen" its security rules. I'm located in Poland, in case you'd need to know location (though I'm not able to provide you with an IP as it's dynamic and it changes often).

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Greetings Steven Zimmerman,

I hope that you're having a beautiful day and don't mind skipping in! :slight_smile:

I just tried to register a new user in your website through http://dealsmarthosting.com/membership-realm/member-registration/ page.
    What I experienced (tested in couple of browsers) was that after choosing a plan and redirected into the registration page that I just mentioned, I submitted my user & profile details and I redirected into the same page without getting any chance to fulfill a payment, neither getting any email to activate my user. The user doesn't show up in pending profiles either.

Having said that, I'd like you to conduct a theme/plugin test in case this is due to some conflict. You can find a nice flow chart if you scroll down in https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/.
    In case this is a production site with some traffic, consider to create a staging environment for better testing. :wink:

Looking forward for your results on this!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Steven Zimmerman

Hi Dimitris,

the trouble you experienced are my one too. That's the reason WHY I asked kindly for help as user could registered once before and it worked properly. Also the recommended tests I did for sure before finally asked you guys for support.

In short: there must be some settings done wrongly therefore once again I ask you experts to do for me the settings.

Kind regards
    Brandon

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brandon!

I accessed your site and investigated the issue. The main culprit here is the "Protect Registration Form" feature of "WPBruiser" plugin.

I disabled that feature ("WPBruiser -> WordPRess" page in dashboard) and the registration goes fine. I was able to go through entire process, I payed with my Stripe sandbox and signed up for a membership.

It seems that this plugin (WPBruiser) is causing a conflict and disabling the "Protect Registration Form" feature helps.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Steven Zimmerman

Hello Adam,

sorry for contacting you once again in this matter. Am just wondering did you made other changes to any other plugins as well?

Reason for asking: Dealsmart is indeed our 'testing environment' only; our future website is another one however with same plugins for m2pro and buddypress like at dealsmart.

Meanwhile I deleted WP Bruiser plugin entirely from dealsmart also from website. So WP Buiser can't cause a conflict and disabling the "Protect Registration Form" anymore. Nevertheless we still have at our main website the effect of 'entirely protected' and can't get rid off it.

- Checked thoroughly settings (main website compared to the one you made at dealsmart).
    Can assure those are exactly identical ...
    - cleared all caches (browser and website)
    - de-/reactivated all plugins
    - optimized db's

but with no success. Our main website has still the conflict of "Protect Registration Form".
    -
    Am certainly grateful to hear from you what else I should check to achieve the same result like you did at dealsmart with membership/buddypress.

Thank you.
    Brandon

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brandon!

I must admit that I'm now getting quite confused :slight_smile:

Let me please first explain what made me make that change (and no, I didn't make any other change except the one that I described):

I checked the site trying to signup for a membership. I was instantly redirected back to the "select membership" page each time even though I filled in the form as expected. This reminded me of some similar issues I came across in the past that were caused by some additional security plugins (such as captcha, some additional form validation scripts etc) that were "breaking" Membership 2 Pro form. So I started reviewing your site's settings against anything close to that and I found that option in WPBruiser plugin. It seemed logical that this should be affectiong M2 signup form somehow so I decided to give it a try and then once I only disabled it - everything started to work as expected. That proved then that my diagnose was (well, I'm not so sure now...) right.

I"m thinking now though that perhaps there should be a bit different way to remove the plugin: first disable that feature and then disable the plugin as some plugins e.g. add up to database and/or .htaccess etc.

Also, is that live site exactly the same (and on the same server) as the one I was working on? Do you think I could test it/access it as well?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Steven Zimmerman

Hello Adam,

I do appreciate your quick response very much. To answer your question, yes the other website is on the same server, currently not live yet as we can't get it working properly. It's subject is different however, the majority of plugins used there are the same as on dealsmart.

And YES it would be so fabulous if you could help me out once more. My CEO returns to the office in a few hours; need his okay to grant you access to site and the server.

Meanwhile I will check the htaccess and db. However if I can't solve the issue, indeed I would love to take your kind offer for help.

So, will contact you shortly again.
    Until then
    Brandon

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brandon!

I received your message. I accessed the site and tried to signup for a membership first. Again, I was bounced by the "anti-spam" plugin that you're using. I then added my current IP to the "Allow list" and this let me go to the registration form. Yet, after submitting it I was again redirected to the spam page.

I'm not sure why this is happening, probably that IP is somewhere on the lists but I don't have any way to affect it (except using proxy/vpn) but I suppose this may also be an issue in future for your users. It seems that the system is extremely "sensitive". That's just a side note though :slight_smile:

However, it would be great if you could also either disable that system for the time of this troubleshooting or at least "loosen" its rules, just like you did in case of your other side. Let me know here please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brandon!

Thanks for information.

However, I was again redirected to the "spam abuse" site! I can see that the "Stop Spammers" plugin is still active and even though my IP hasn't changed since last time I visited the site - when I white listed it in a plugins (and you white listed on a server) - it didn't let me through. I was able to access site's dashboard and go to the signup form but after clicking submit, it thrown me to that spam abuse site.

Ultimately, I tried again using a VPN, connecting through gateway in London. This worked and I was able to proceed with registration process. As you can see in site's dashboard on Members list, I was able to sign up. The process went fine with absolutely no issues on the way whatsoever.

Having that said, I just realized that previously before I got redirected to the "spam abuse" site I was redirected back to the registration page multiple times. One or two times I didn't submit requested information and then I though I again skipped filling some fields marked as required.

I think now though that the case here is similar to that other site we were working on. First time I connected from Poland (from IP that you white listed) and first I was taken back to the registration form after submitting it and then to the "spam abuse" site. Once I changed my IP I was able to sign up in "one go".

So, reviewed "Stop Spammers" plugin settings and I found out that entire Poland is blocked there ("Stop Spammers -> Protection Options -> Block Countries"). That's fine, it's up to you of course, but I least I found what was blocking me from testing the site. I suppose this may happen again and result in the same case scenario for other users as well, as long as you do not make sure that they come only from countries that are not on the "blocked" list.

The option description says that "Blocking countries only blocks the know spam blocks from those countries." but to be perfectly honest it's hard for me to believe that it really works. I"m connected via the biggest provider in the country (which actually is an international company) Orange and I'm still getting caught sometimes by the plugin :slight_smile:

I said "sometimes" because after getting disconnected from VPN (so switching back to Polish IP) I tried to register once again. Registration went through fine (no "spam trap" then, it seems to be inconsistent). So, I tried for the 3rd time (again successfully) and asked one of my colleagues from the other part of the world to do the same - he was also able to register successfully.

There is however one thing that I changed before these tests (right after switching off from VPN): I enabled the "Don't cache pages with GET parameters" option in WP Super Cache settings. The form on your site is sending GET request (?ms_relationship_id...) and if it's cached it may be interfering.

That being said, I think it's working now. Please clear your browser's cache and give it more tries. In case anything happened, please also change another option. On "Stop Spammers -> Protection Option" page disable the "Filter Login Requests" option. Try this though only in case registration still didn't work for you despite the change I made and clearing your browser's cache.

Let me know about your test results, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Steven Zimmerman

Hi Brandon,

indeed this was a brilliant support effort you delivered. Can't thank you enough for that.

Tested the registration process once more. Now it works but before got some troubles with the HTTP 406. Reported this to the provider and they figured out the same facts like you mentioned in your most helpful support report. They made correction at mod security... since I can proceed with no trouble.

Once again: Am so grateful for your help! Unfortunately it is not possible to rate your work again. However, we all are very happy :slight_smile:.

Kind regards
    Brandon

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.