Made some changes: which one? Please do it again...

Valued Support Team,

on 20/05/15 your colleague Jude solved a "huge and major" multi-db issue which we experienced since beginning. Jude informed that date apart from solving the protected content trouble we experienced...

"Made some changes. Please take a look now." We responded to that:
Hello Jude,
indeed your support is invaluable. You solved finally the major multi-db trouble we experienced since beginning ... we can't thank you enough for your support.

We also recognized that you could sort out the protected content issue with the signup form which is great. Meanwhile we checked the settings from protected content, also the add-ons and BuddyPress settings. We truly can state they are ALL identical on main site as well o ALL sub domains.

Brilliant would be if you can sort out the AVATAR issue too. Please let me know.
With serious gratitude.

Recently Jude could finally solve the AVATAR trouble... and we are grateful for that too. Unfortunately since then it turned out, that the access to multi-db is once again a huge hazzle like before (but perhaps it's a small task only as we have since solving the AVATARs on each domain a BuddyPress request about settings as attached with screen shoot below. BTW settings are correct, we checked this too.)

Please (please with utmost concern) could you once again together with Jude (just as a kind suggestion) solve this problem? It's not only most annoying, it also prevents to continue our task.

We sincerely do appreciate your soon and positive response to this request.

Regards
Prinz

• Klaus

Hello Michael,

am more than pleased getting such quick response. That really speaks more than 1.000 words about the excellent support you and all your colleagues are providing!

To answer your questions:
    1) Multi-db issue is, when accessing our site in 99% of the cases message like can't access the db or Error connecting to db occurs. But being persistent by repeating the task usually after the second or third try access to db's is possible. This 'annoying' were always there (last xmas your colleague Jose installed for us multi-db)... and we filled a huge amount of support request to solve this problem. Jose figured then out, that we have to live with it as it is a provider matter.

As we intent change our hosting environment after developing our prototype we accepted to live with that problem and went around it by just being persistent and do the desired/needed task more often.

Early May we requested support for protected content. Jude was so kind and help perfect... but there was still the hassle left, that AVATAR's was working on main page but never transferred to any sub domain. Once again Jude helped to solve this issue as well... now avatars are automatically available on sub domains and/or shown on widgets like 'who is online' to name just one feature.

Between solving both cases (we believe Jude was as well most annoyed about the 'no db access' problem) Jude informed us that he would have done some changes... and we were over the moon because since then we never run into any db error! We have no clue which changes Jude did (we are only web amateurs)...

In short: Protected content works... no avatars BUT NO DB problems... got help with Avatars... we have db problem again. Does this makes sense?

2) YES we believe these are BuddyPress Avatars (please note we are amateurs only). However Jude knows best which Avatar type are in place.

Please let me know if you need direct server access too. Will forward it to you (these are the same Jude already have).

Hope this helps. Looking forward hearing from you again.
    Gratefully
    Prinz

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Prinz,

In short: Protected content works... no avatars BUT NO DB problems... got help with Avatars... we have db problem again. Does this makes sense?

I'm seeing that the avatars are working on your main site, but while I do see that notice you referenced in your screenshot on multiple subsites in your network, not only am I seeing that they're assigned pages belonging to your main site, it also seems like you're having BuddyPress only work on the main site in the first place?

Could you spell out for me how exactly the avatars aren't working? I tried digging through the history of your various conversations here on the forums, but I still don't think I follow what's up with this. :slight_frown:

As a side note, regarding the database problems... I've informed my colleague @Jude of your response here, to get his thoughts on the matter, but if I'm honest, I'd really want to get this site moved over to better hosting ASAP, sooner than when a prototype is available.

What happens if when moving this Multisite (with all that's in it, and a good part of the concern being Multi-DB) over to the new hosting, something comes up, due to what's gone on with this present hosting? That's a concern that I have with all that's been going here, and I'd really want to try building a network as big as this on hosting that I know works, rather than on something that I know has a history of going kaboom.

And I'd really want to obtain a sysadmin as soon as possible, as this is sysadmin territory that we're dealing with, after all. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Klaus

Hi Jude,

tried it to access those 3 sub domains... impossible... result just a blank grey screen (btw same result when trying to access any of the other sub domains).

Next, de-activated all plugin: access to sub domains where possible but not to any of the posts and pages on it. well, could list them but not edit nor view...

Next, re-activated step-by-step needed plugins. result access to sub domains where possible but not to any of the posts and pages on it. well, could list them but not edit nor view... Finally, when last plugin was activated - new membership2 pro - access impossible... result just a blank grey screen (also when accessing of any of the other sub domains).

Hope, that helps.
    Cheers
    Prinz

• Klaus

Hi Jude,

current status: can partially access sub domains and those were I have access it seems AVATARS are back again as well...
    BUT
    still can't do any modification to posts and pages on it. When clicking on them screen turns still into an empty grey one. Some other sub domains are not accessible at all even not when "Site Overview" indicates that ALL sites are available.

Please can you look at this and allow access/modification to all elements on sub domains.

Cheers
    Prinz

• Jude

Hey Prinz

This is what is happening .. the avatars are pulled from a root subdomain in your multisite. Meaning each site is reading from mulitple locations in the DB and is crashing because of server resources.

IF you set it to only one site by turning OFF avatars then the DB is getting read/written fine.

So the issue looks to be if you have centralized avatars from one site then the sever is not able to handle the extra load. BUT if you force it to read from only one subdomain then it works fine (DB issue is gone)

So at this point you need to choose. Do you want me to leave Avatars ON ( DB issue) or Avatars OFF (no DB issue) or you may need to get a better host.

Please advice on how you want me to proceed

Jude

• Jude

Hi again @Prinz

Oh... of course all Avatars have to be organized from one central place, ideally placed on network admin level. Which I strongly believed that this would have always been the case since beginning.

Looks like when you migrated earlier they are now in the base site with ID one ( 1 ) . The problem is not that they are central but if they are centrally stored then the site reads from 2 places.

1) Main subsite for site related data
    2) Central subsite for avatar data

This action adds extra load to the site and you are getting DB errors.

So at this point you need to choose. Do you want me to leave Avatars ON ( DB issue) or Avatars OFF (no DB issue) ?

Or my advice is get a better server package and db resources.

Cheers
    Jude

• Klaus

Good morning Jude,

as we need avatars ON (unfortunately currently with DB errors, hopefully only those we are "used" now) we have no other choice to do this decision. The good moment is, our provider change is just around the corner...

Please advice us, when we change what would be the db-requirement we have to look at before we change provider.

Meanwhile I hope we can access our application like before means the expected db errors are on that level you managed before.

Big thanks for your great support which we appreciate so much gratefully.
    Cheers
    Prinz

• Jude

Hi again @Prinz

Yeah .. its sad that the fix causes the older DB errors.

as we need avatars ON (unfortunately currently with DB errors, hopefully only those we are "used" now) we have no other choice to do this decision.

This I have done .. please check and reinitialize all the sites.

Meanwhile I hope we can access our application like before means the expected db errors are on that level you managed before.

I will gladly help you, please tell me the exact requirements of the FINAL site. How many USERS and SITES ? And what are the main software (plugins) that you will be running ?

Cheers
    Jude

• Klaus

Hello Jude,

initialize as recommended all sub domains... quite an effort of being persistent :slight_frown:( <-> :grinning:
    Now, can access all sides but result when e.g. click on posts (or page... or any other feature) to get the listing of it.

Result JUST a blank grey screen (same result on any of the sub domains)... :slight_frown:(

Next, de-activated all plugin: access to sub domains where possible but not to any of the posts and pages on it. well, could list them but not edit nor view...

Next, re-activated step-by-step needed plugins. result access to sub domains where possible but not to any of the posts and pages on it. well, could list them but not edit nor view...

In short: Please help to get access again.

Thank you

• Klaus

Hello Jude,

as already mention in other support request, we made a few steps to progress...

1) clear browser cache, run CC cleaner, restarted System and router
    2) deleted all caches on wp-application (main and sub domains)
    3) de-activated all plugins once again
    4) re-named .htaccess
    5) contacted provider, cleared all caches
    6) they run a MYSQL flush PRIVILEGES
    7) they analyzed the system and found out the following:
    Richard
    [09-Jun-2015 07:36:49] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/php/54/usr/lib64/php/modules/imagick.so' - /usr/php/54/usr/lib64/php/modules/imagick.so: undefined symbol: zend_new_interned_string in Unknown on line 0
    [09-Jun-2015 07:36:49] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: magickwand: Unable to initialize module
    Module compiled with module API=20100525, debug=0, thread-safety=0
    PHP compiled with module API=20060613, debug=0, thread-safety=0
    These options need to match
    in Unknown on line 0

8:19:00amRichard
    this is the error you are getting on your site
    modify this error; do not use ZEND and you are fine

Please, dear Jude, let me ask you to be so kind and eliminate this error too.

Thanks
    Cheers

If done...
    please inform by email.

Big thank you in advance
    Prinz

• Klaus

Hello Michael,

frankly your message is irritating us extremely as we have no clue at all about ZEND and it's optimization. Provider recommended to DELETE the entire ZEND procedure as it causes issue... and especially the last two hours we had permanently system access trouble.

Though would you mind to DELETE / DROP that ZEND entirely instead of setting it to 0.

Looking forwards having this done soon.
    Thanks in advance
    Prinz

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Prinz,

My apologies, I did not intend to irritate you with my earlier response, that line of code I had inserted into your site's php.ini was meant to disable the Zend framework, since the enabling of that is usually handled by the hosting provider.

Since it doesn't sound like it disabled the Zend framework, I'd want to reach out to your hosting provider, and ask them how that can be disabled here.

Given that you're on shared hosting though, and that it seems like something that's a part of your hosting package (since there's no place that I'm seeing where you can actually disable it, inside your site's control panel, or via php.ini), this may necessitate the move to a different hosting provider.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Klaus

Hello Michael, often we feel just to express verbally how much we appreciate your support is not enough but what right now we see no other option...

Regards you explanation that helps to understand a bit the background of that "Zend"... and for the moment it will do.

As mentioned in other posts our provider change is planned for early August. As you know we will follow your advice finding and engaging professionals (using WPMU Dev Job board) which is for us not an easy task to place there our vacancies as we do not know "which specification" are really needed. Just in case you would have a draft for a job description... that would be so wonderful.

However until then we have to finish anyhow this prototype... unfortunately right now we are under high pressure (missing all that time we lost recently) to get out site presentation done (especially the front page) because on Monday 06/15/2015 early afternoon we have to conduct a meeting with important Philanthropist...

For now close this support request marked as solved (certainly not all but most of it) and we believe setting up a new request makes things easier for you professionals. Hope that is okay.

Thanks so much for all!
    Sincerely
    Prinz

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Prinz,

No problem, glad to hear that you've got plans to move this site over to different hosting, that should really help get things moving a lot more smoothly. :slight_smile:

Regarding this:

As you know we will follow your advice finding and engaging professionals (using WPMU Dev Job board) which is for us not an easy task to place there our vacancies as we do not know "which specification" are really needed. Just in case you would have a draft for a job description... that would be so wonderful.

First, I'd like to quote Wikipedia on just what a sysadmin is:

A system administrator, or sysadmin, is a person who is responsible for the upkeep, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems; especially multi-user computers, such as servers.

Now, as for a example job description... one that comes to mind would actually be a post of ours from a few years ago, back when we advertised for a sysadmin position:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/sysadmin-job/

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.