MailChimp: Can WP registration include MailChimp groups? And how to unsubscribe?

After adding MailChimp Sync, all my WP subscribers are now added to my MailChimp subscribers.

Question 1: If I create groups in MailChimp, can I link these groups to the WP registration form so WP subscribers can select their groups of interest upon registration?

Question 2: If someone unsubscribes from my MailChimp email, does this automatically remove them from my WP subscriber list? If not, then what is to prevent the MailChimp Sync from adding the unsubscribed email address from WP back into MailChimp, thereby causing a spam situation?

Thanks,

Ed

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Ed,

Question 1: If I create groups in MailChimp, can I link these groups to the WP registration form so WP subscribers can select their groups of interest upon registration?

This would have to be done custom, but it definitely do-able. Here's an article from MailChimp on how it'd be done:
    http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/is-it-possible-to-have-one-signup-form-that-submits-to-multiple-lists

Question 2: If someone unsubscribes from my MailChimp email, does this automatically remove them from my WP subscriber list? If not, then what is to prevent the MailChimp Sync from adding the unsubscribed email address from WP back into MailChimp, thereby causing a spam situation?

Good question, I'm gonna have to ask the developer. I don't believe they are removed from your regular WordPress subscribers list, and I think that is where the sync list is pulled from.

Thanks

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Ed,

I couldn't see any options surrounding groups within the plugin so I imagine it wouldn't be possible to integrate that in the signup form at this point.

I'm not totally sure what you mean regarding the WP subscribers but the subscriptions are all taken care of so that unsubscribing through MailChimp will ensure the user doesn't still get added back on the subscription via the plugin.

Hope that helps a bit, if I'm missing anything here, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    David

• exberry
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Mason and David,

Question 1:

The MailChimp link says using multiple lists is difficult but using multiple groups is easy.

However, if the plugin cannot sync a group field from WP to MailChimp, then it seems the answer is No.

Question 2:

Hi Aaron,

Your answer implies MailChimp can delete a user but the user will not be deleted from WP, and the plugin will not attempt to add the user back into MailChimp. This is OK and a valid answer.

Thanks,

Ed

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Ed,

In regards to your first question, you're correct. The plugin does not do this by default - it would have to be custom developed.

As to the 2nd question - Aaron's right. As long as you didn't manually re-sync things everything will work fine :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @@Torre Kean and welcome to the WPMUDEV Community!

Can you please create a new thread for this?
    Mailchimp has changed a lot in the 2 years since this thread was created... so has WordPress in general as well as this plugin.
    Furthermore, a lot of the members involved in this thread are no longer active members in these forums and there's no reason why they should receive notification emails about an issue they had more than 2 years ago.
    If you create a new thread about this, we'll be able to properly assist with this and submit a feature request to the plugin's new developer.

I'll be closing this thread to avoid further comments here.

Thank you for your understanding!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.