Mailchimp embedded signup form is not applying the MC list settings

Hi,

I have a signup form from MC by this page:

http://h4bs.com/nl/gratis-tips/

By the first one I get a message in red when trying to download without filling in my information (name and address).

By the second form I am redirected to another page where I still need to give my information.

I would like to have the second option by the white picture.

How can I get it done?
Both codes are the same....

Thanks!

Cheers!

• Tyler Postle

Hey mpress,

Thanks for stopping by the live chat today. The issue you brought up there was the form validation messages were swapped to English when Popup Pro was active, but should of still been in Dutch.

We narrowed the conflict down to having the same code inside the Popup as on your mailchimp page here: http://h4bs.com/nl/gratis-tips/

I've let @Jude know about the situation so we can see whether or not we can change this code around so it's not conflicting with eachother like this :slight_smile: either him or myself will post back here once we have an answer for you.

Have a good night!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mpress

Hi @Jude,

I hope you are doing well.
    I am not yet.......

I have been trying quite a lot the last three days and with help van @Patrick and @Tyler Postle I have learned some more about this issue, but it still doesnot work the way I want/need.
    It has been a huge time consuming with no much results, yet...

The situation NOW is this:
    MC form is used in a page/post at the same time with a pwal piece. page:http://h4bs.com/nl/e-book-veilig-online-ondernemen/

You can see by the pictures how it works now...
    When pwal is enabled I see only the pwal block while the purpose is to give our customer the possibility to make a choice between like form pwal OR fill out MC signup form. Both forms needs to be shown for the customers to choose one.

Hope you can help me out of it.......

Cheers!
    access to h4bs.com still granted!

• Jude

Hey @mpress

I hope you are doing well.
    I am not yet.......

Lets fix that right away. I had a chat with Tyler about this issue. Can you please send in

Subject: "Attn: Jude Rosario"
    - WordPress super admin/ admin username + password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel details
    - phpMyAdmin details ( To check database )
    - MySQL details ( IF you dont have phpmyadmin)

-link back to this thread for reference

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Cheers
    Jude

• Jude

Hey again @mpress

After extensive testing I think its best if we move the fix outside of the plugins themselves.
    This snippet I put together will fix the translation issue.

https://gist.github.com/JudeRosario/93211944b37339ab4bdb

Just copy/paste the code into the functions.php file of your child theme or a site specific plugin if you use one.

Next for the one with the inconsistencies in the form looks like the call back targets only the first form on the page. So even though you copy pasted the code only one of them actually get the input.

Maybe I can help by writing one of them with the same behaviour if you tell me your exact requirements (Im spending a lot of time between english and dutch here) . Also please keep access open till this is done.

Cheers
    Jude

• mpress

Hy @Tyler, thanks for coming by.

I would not say the only but it starts with the validation translation messages issue. You never know whatelse comes later on. I am not that technical, I only have my thoughts and assumptions so far I can understand it.(that's why I enjoyed wpmudev membership plan:slight_smile:
      @Jude has given a fix (28july). I have applied that to my functions.php and my feedback was:

mpress Elite272#366
      Hi @Jude,

Just copied your code to the functions.php from my chikd theme and it gave me a blanco/empty page. ....

Tue Jul 28 2015, 11:41:06 PM

So, I was given a fix, it did not work, I do not know how to go on on this....

Cheers.

• mpress

Hi @Jude,

It fixed one field and one situation/translation.
      If you donot give values it says now in Dutch that these are required fields. Which is correct.
      If you input a wrong email address it will give the same translation, which one of course is not correct. Wrong email address will have another error message, something like Please input a valid email.
      With your fix it still says : Verplicht veld (required field)
      If I have a look at the MailChimp form I can see some more fields that needs to use the Dutch translation.
      I get the impression that the way it is fixed now, all error messages will be :Verplicht veld. Isn't it?

Actually, I would like to have MailChimp form working the way it is supposed to.

I intend to have some more forms and really donot like the idea that I have to go thru this process for each one.
      I hop e you understand my point.

How to get the MChimp forms settings workinf the way they should?

Thanks!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress,

Hmm... you're right, this does pose an interesting situation. :disappointed:

Going through this here:

http://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/signup-forms/translate-the-mailchimp-embed-code#Translate-Form-Success-and-Error-Messages

May I ask which form you're using? It looks like you're using the "Classic Form" presently?

What would be the original signup code, could you share that here please?

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• mpress

Hi @Michael Bissett,

Yes, we are using the "Classic Form".
    Here is the code we use inside the popup form - this was the first one published:

<!-- Begin MailChimp Signup Form -->
    <div id="mc_embed_signup"><form id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" action="//partnerinverandering.us10.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa&id=5056cb2009" method="post" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" novalidate="" target="_blank">
    <div id="mc_embed_signup_scroll">
    <div class="mc-field-group"><label for="mce-EMAIL">EmailAddress </label>
    <input id="mce-EMAIL" class="required email" name="EMAIL" type="email" value="" /></div>
    <div class="mc-field-group"><label for="mce-FNAME">Voornaam P</label>
    <input id="mce-FNAME" class="required" name="FNAME" type="text" value="" /></div>
    <div class="mc-field-group"><label for="mce-LNAME">Achternaam </label>
    <input id="mce-LNAME" class="" name="LNAME" type="text" value="" /></div>
    <div id="mce-responses" class="clear"></div>
    <!-- real people should not fill this in and expect good things - do not remove this or risk form bot signups-->
    <div style="position: absolute; left: -5000px;"><input tabindex="-1" name="b_3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa_5056cb2009" type="text" value="" /></div>
    <div class="clear"><input id="mc-embedded-subscribe" class="button" name="subscribe" type="submit" value="Aanmelden" /></div>
    </div>
    </form></div>
    <script src="//s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.mailchimp.com/js/mc-validate.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">// < ![CDATA[
    // < ![CDATA[ // < ![CDATA[ (function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text';fnames[2]='LNAME';ftypes[2]='text'; /*  * Translated default messages for the $ validation plugin.  * Locale: NL  */ $.extend($.validator.messages, {         required: "Dit is een verplicht veld.",         remote: "Controleer dit veld.",         email: "Vul hier een geldig e-mailadres in.",         url: "Vul hier een geldige URL in.",         date: "Vul hier een geldige datum in.",         dateISO: "Vul hier een geldige datum in (ISO-formaat).",         number: "Vul hier een geldig getal in.",         digits: "Vul hier alleen getallen in.",         creditcard: "Vul hier een geldig creditcardnummer in.",         equalTo: "Vul hier dezelfde waarde in.",         accept: "Vul hier een waarde in met een geldige extensie.",         maxlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier maximaal {0} tekens in."),         minlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier minimaal {0} tekens in."),         rangelength: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1} tekens."),         range: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1}."),         max: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in kleiner dan of gelijk aan {0}."),         min: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in groter dan of gelijk aan {0}.") });}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);
    // ]]></script>
    <!--End mc_embed_signup-->

Here the code from the http://h4bs.com/?p=2104 , the second form:

<div id="mc_embed_signup"><form id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" action="//partnerinverandering.us10.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa&id=437e979c2b" method="post" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" novalidate="" target="_blank">
    <div class="mc-field-group"><label for="mce-EMAIL">Emailadres </label>
    <input id="mce-EMAIL" class="required email" name="EMAIL" type="email" value="" /></div>
    <div class="mc-field-group"><label for="mce-FNAME">Voornaam </label>
    <input id="mce-FNAME" class="required" name="FNAME" type="text" value="" /></div>
    <!-- real people should not fill this in and expect good things - do not remove this or risk form bot signups-->
    <div style="position: absolute; left: -5000px;"><input tabindex="-1" name="b_3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa_437e979c2b" type="text" value="" /></div>
    <div class="clear"><input id="mc-embedded-subscribe" class="btn btn-inverse" name="subscribe" type="submit" value="Aanmelden" /></div>
    </div>
    </form></div>
    <script src="//s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.mailchimp.com/js/mc-validate.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">// < ![CDATA[
    // < ![CDATA[ (function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text'; /*  * Translated default messages for the $ validation plugin.  * Locale: NL  */ $.extend($.validator.messages, {         required: "Dit is een verplicht veld.",         remote: "Controleer dit veld.",         email: "Vul hier een geldig e-mailadres in.",         url: "Vul hier een geldige URL in.",         date: "Vul hier een geldige datum in.",         dateISO: "Vul hier een geldige datum in (ISO-formaat).",         number: "Vul hier een geldig getal in.",         digits: "Vul hier alleen getallen in.",         creditcard: "Vul hier een geldig creditcardnummer in.",         equalTo: "Vul hier dezelfde waarde in.",         accept: "Vul hier een waarde in met een geldige extensie.",         maxlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier maximaal {0} tekens in."),         minlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier minimaal {0} tekens in."),         rangelength: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1} tekens."),         range: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1}."),         max: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in kleiner dan of gelijk aan {0}."),         min: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in groter dan of gelijk aan {0}.") });}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);
    // ]]></script>

Access still granted and wpmu user is active :slight_smile:

Cheers

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress,

In order to get both of these forms to be translated properly, we need to adjust the code. For the first form, it needs to be laid out like this:

<div id="mc_embed_signup"><form id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" action="//partnerinverandering.us10.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa&id=5056cb2009" method="post" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" novalidate="" target="_blank">
    <div style="position: absolute; left: -5000px;"><input tabindex="-1" name="b_3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa_5056cb2009" type="text" value="" /></div>
    <div class="clear"><input id="mc-embedded-subscribe" class="button" name="subscribe" type="submit" value="Aanmelden" /></div>
    </div>
    </form></div>
    <script src="//s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.mailchimp.com/js/mc-validate.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">

(function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text';fnames[2]='LNAME';ftypes[2]='text'; /*  * Translated default messages for the $ validation plugin.  * Locale: NL  */ $.extend($.validator.messages, {         required: "Dit is een verplicht veld.",         remote: "Controleer dit veld.",         email: "Vul hier een geldig e-mailadres in.",         url: "Vul hier een geldige URL in.",         date: "Vul hier een geldige datum in.",         dateISO: "Vul hier een geldige datum in (ISO-formaat).",         number: "Vul hier een geldig getal in.",         digits: "Vul hier alleen getallen in.",         creditcard: "Vul hier een geldig creditcardnummer in.",         equalTo: "Vul hier dezelfde waarde in.",         accept: "Vul hier een waarde in met een geldige extensie.",         maxlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier maximaal {0} tekens in."),         minlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier minimaal {0} tekens in."),         rangelength: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1} tekens."),         range: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1}."),         max: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in kleiner dan of gelijk aan {0}."),         min: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in groter dan of gelijk aan {0}.") });}

(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);
    </script>

And in regards to the 2nd form, you'll need to have it laid out like this:

<div id="mc_embed_signup"><form id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" action="//partnerinverandering.us10.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa&id=437e979c2b" method="post" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" novalidate="" target="_blank">
    <div class="mc-field-group"><label for="mce-EMAIL">Emailadres </label>
    <div class="mc-field-group"><label for="mce-FNAME">Voornaam </label>
    <div style="position: absolute; left: -5000px;"><input tabindex="-1" name="b_3100ddf7e9a7410af6a64adfa_437e979c2b" type="text" value="" /></div>
    <div class="clear"><input id="mc-embedded-subscribe" class="btn btn-inverse" name="subscribe" type="submit" value="Aanmelden" /></div>
    </div>
    </form></div>
    <script src="//s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.mailchimp.com/js/mc-validate.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">

(function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text'; /*  * Translated default messages for the $ validation plugin.  * Locale: NL  */ $.extend($.validator.messages, {         required: "Dit is een verplicht veld.",         remote: "Controleer dit veld.",         email: "Vul hier een geldig e-mailadres in.",         url: "Vul hier een geldige URL in.",         date: "Vul hier een geldige datum in.",         dateISO: "Vul hier een geldige datum in (ISO-formaat).",         number: "Vul hier een geldig getal in.",         digits: "Vul hier alleen getallen in.",         creditcard: "Vul hier een geldig creditcardnummer in.",         equalTo: "Vul hier dezelfde waarde in.",         accept: "Vul hier een waarde in met een geldige extensie.",         maxlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier maximaal {0} tekens in."),         minlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier minimaal {0} tekens in."),         rangelength: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1} tekens."),         range: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1}."),         max: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in kleiner dan of gelijk aan {0}."),         min: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in groter dan of gelijk aan {0}.") });}

(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);
    </script>

In regards to that 2nd form, you'll need to place it there yourself, I tried to do it, but since the admin user given doesn't have enough permissions, the <script> tags keep getting stripped out:

Let me know if this helps please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress,

I'm seeing that this page no longer has English text:

Did you change something in the meantime?

As for the popup that shows up on this page:

http://h4bs.com/nl/webinar-vergroot-inkomsten/

I was able to get that sorted for you by editing the code, removing the line breaks for the <script> tags:

</div>
    </form></div><script src="//s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.mailchimp.com/js/mc-validate.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">(function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text';fnames[2]='LNAME';ftypes[2]='text'; /*  * Translated default messages for the $ validation plugin.  * Locale: NL  */ $.extend($.validator.messages, {         required: "Dit is een verplicht veld.",         remote: "Controleer dit veld.",         email: "Vul hier een geldig e-mailadres in.",         url: "Vul hier een geldige URL in.",         date: "Vul hier een geldige datum in.",         dateISO: "Vul hier een geldige datum in (ISO-formaat).",         number: "Vul hier een geldig getal in.",         digits: "Vul hier alleen getallen in.",         creditcard: "Vul hier een geldig creditcardnummer in.",         equalTo: "Vul hier dezelfde waarde in.",         accept: "Vul hier een waarde in met een geldige extensie.",         maxlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier maximaal {0} tekens in."),         minlength: $.validator.format("Vul hier minimaal {0} tekens in."),         rangelength: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1} tekens."),         range: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in van minimaal {0} en maximaal {1}."),         max: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in kleiner dan of gelijk aan {0}."),         min: $.validator.format("Vul hier een waarde in groter dan of gelijk aan {0}.") });}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);</script>

Before, with the line breaks, they were being placed in <p> tags, thus rendering them ineffective.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• mpress

Hi @Michael,

I'm seeing that this page no longer has English text:

This page has now the correct translation, but when I submit information I should be given a message that comes from MChimp stating that customer needs to confirm it with the link sent via email.
      This doesnot happen.
      The flow before was:
      fill in name and email
      message (by the page self) was displayed stating email with a confirmation link was sent
      after confrirmation link was used a thank you page was opened where a link to download the ebook was presented.

As for the popup that shows up on this page:

http://h4bs.com/nl/webinar-vergroot-inkomsten/

Thanks, I did not pay enough attentio to the <p> codes that are inserted automattic by Wordpress.
      This page has now the correct translation, but when I submit information I should be given a message that comes from MChimp.
      This doesnot happen.
      The flow before was:
      fill in name and email
      message (by the page self) was displayed.

How to get it?

Thanks.

My apologies for taking too much time to answer, but Marketpress is really taking too much more time than I thought it would... :slight_frown:

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress,

when I submit information I should be given a message that comes from MChimp stating that customer needs to confirm it with the link sent via email.
    This doesnot happen.
    The flow before was:
    fill in name and email
    message (by the page self) was displayed stating email with a confirmation link was sent
    after confrirmation link was used a thank you page was opened where a link to download the ebook was presented.

It appears that the code that you had presented here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/mailchimp-embedded-signup-form-is-not-applying-the-mc-list-settings#post-944493

Doesn't allow for that, as even my inserting it into a plain .html file doesn't result in this behavior.

If I were you, I'd want to contact MailChimp's support here about this, as it looks like you'll need to regenerate your signup form code, and have it be adjusted to suit your language here.

Once you've got the newly created code, and assuming that it's still not displaying properly when inserted into your site, we can continue from there. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• mpress

Hi @Michael,

Still checking it.

I can tell you it was working before with some issues:
        - translations and
        - different behaviours in the flow for this step:
        message was displayed stating email with a confirmation link was sent, sometimes by the page self (no idea how message was generated) , sometimes in a new window (here MChimp settings are used).

May I ask you what have you changed in order to get the translations working?

If I were you, I'd want to contact MailChimp's support here about this, as it looks like you'll need to regenerate your signup form code, and have it be adjusted to suit your language here.

I don''t get it. The translation codes are in the html code generated using MChimp and that we shared with you on Sept 2.

Cheers!!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress,

May I ask you what have you changed in order to get the translations working?

To use your first form code as an example:

http://pastebin.com/tJXeyKHJ

I had removed the CDATA tags from the code, and moved the <script> tag onto the same line as the closing </div> tag for the #mc_embed_signup div tag:

http://pastebin.com/aTRXNG9T

However, even with testing the original code on my own end (simply inserting it into a .html document, nothing more), I saw that the information disappeared upon submitting it, without a notice being displayed.

Hence the reason for re-examining the code. :slight_smile: It wasn't that the language wasn't working in my version of the code, but rather, it appears that the original code had something in it (or something missing), that's presently causing the message you mentioned to not appear, even with my own modifications.

Could you please try regenerating the form code, just to see if we can at least get a message to show up upon a successful submission? :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• mpress

Hi @Michael Bissett,

I have a new form from MChimp. You can see it by this new page:
      http://h4bs.com/nl/mc-form/

We have performed some tests:

- When nothing is filled in we get a Dutch error message for both fields (name and email).
      - When email is field only the piece before @ we get Dutch error messages too.
      - When email is filled in as name@domain without dot com we get English error messages

When we fill in correct name and email we can see there is a successful message by the page self - it comes in a tiny font size - visitors can not read that . I did with help from Developer tools from Chrome :slight_smile:, although in MChimp we defined a separated "Thank you " page to be show.

Support access is active.

Cheers!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress,

- When email is filled in as name@domain without dot com we get English error messages

I see what you mean here, and from looking at the list of translations offered in your code snippet, I'm not seeing that it's being translated right now.

The thing is though, I'm not seeing that they provide a way of translating it out of the box, given the list of translations available here:

https://github.com/jzaefferer/jquery-validation/blob/master/src/localization/messages_nl.js

I've heard that it's something that their API may need to be used for, but that's where I'd want to have a chat with them, as they'd be better able to advise on that particular matter. :slight_smile:

As for this though:

When we fill in correct name and email we can see there is a successful message by the page self - it comes in a tiny font size - visitors can not read that .

I agree, and I've remedied this with the following CSS code:

#mc_embed_signup #mce-responses #mce-success-response {
        margin-top: 0px;
        padding-top: 0px;
    }

#mc_embed_signup #mce-responses {
        font-size: 1em !important;
    }

Could you let me know if that works please? :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• mpress

Hi @Michael

I've heard that it's something that their API may need to be used for, but that's where I'd want to have a chat with them, as they'd be better able to advise on that particular matter. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I hope they can give you the way to get it working properly.
      ====================================

I agree, and I've remedied this with the following CSS code:

Thanks, but it does not solve the issue:

although in MChimp we defined a separated "Thank you " page to be show.

Is this something that needs to be talked with MChimp either?

Cheers!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress,

Thanks, but it does not solve the issue:

"although in MChimp we defined a separated "Thank you " page to be show."

In looking at one of their articles about this, you'd need to disable the JavaScript inside of the form code, by following these instructions:

http://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/signup-forms/design-and-host-your-own-thank-you-pages#Update-Embedded-Form-Code

It would remove the validation measures built in to the signup form that's embedded on the page there.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mpress, Michael here!

That form still has the JavaScript enabled in it, as evidenced by the error notices showing up when I navigate away from a field without filling it out first.

Could you please double check that everything was set up as mentioned in that article I shared? I just double checked this on my own test site, and found that the thank you page I set it up for was being used once I confirmed my subscription. :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.