[MailChimp Integration] Membership lists to Mailchimp

I have linked membership2 to mailchimp and when I add a new member, the name is pushed to mailchimp. However:

1. how to I send all my existing members (200) to mailchimp

2. how can I send extra attributes (like username, password, etc) to mailchimp?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Roland,

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

I understand that you’re referring to the built-in Membership 2 Pro “MailChimp Integration” add-on, right?

That’s a basic integration and there’s no option to send any additional attributes directly from Membership 2 Pro MailChimp add-on, I’m afraid. Also, an integration will only be applied to the members that signed up/their subscription status was changed after it was enabled.

For pushing other users’s accounts to your MailChimp you could use a standalone plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/mailchimp-newsletter-integration/

There are two “quirks”, though:

1) It shouldn’t be kept active after sychronization is done as it might interfere with Membership 2 Pro MailChimp add-on

2) it will not actually detect the membership – so it will sync all users, regardless of their membership status.

Having that said, I forwarded this case to our developers, asking them if there’s any workaround or an additional code that could be used to achieve what you need with just a default MailChimp Integration add-on of Membership 2 Pro.

I’m awaiting their response but please note that it might take them a bit longer to provide feedback than it takes us here on support forum, as they are dealing with other complex stuff as well on daily basis.

Please keep an eye on this ticket and we’ll keep you updated here as soon as we hear back from them.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Roland
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Adam,

I have managed to sync my basic details “name, surname, email) to mailchimp. However, since I created all my users in wordpress already, I need a way to sync their usernames to Mailchimp so I can send out a mailshot informing all of the actual username.

How do I do this please?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Roland

I had a talk with one of the developers involved in the plugin today and I got a “preliminary confirmation” that it might be possible to achieve the synchronization for users/member that were registered before the add-on was enabled but that was before I read your recent post.

Therefore, I have forwarded you this follow up question to him and am waiting for response. We’ll update you here as soon as we know more.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Ari
    • Recruit

Hey Roland

Hope you had a wonderful day!

Your question is: how to I send all my existing members (200) to mailchimp?

I made a script for you, so you can upload all the members to the mailchimp list, but once upload is done, you have to either disable the script or remove it. Please follow the below instructions to achieve it:

1: Active the MailChimp add-on from Membership 2 -> Add-ons page:

2: From Membership 2 -> Settings -> MailChimp page set up the MailChimp properly and make sure you assigned a list in the Members mailing list dropdown.

3: In the wp-content folder, create a mu-plugins folder if that already not exist.

4: Download this gist file: https://gist.github.com/wpmudev-sls/fae9dadb2cc5be88237a3734642db512 unzip it and upload the ms-mailchimp-subscribe-old-members.php file to mu-plugins folder.

5: Now go to your site dashboard, it will automatically open a popup that shows the progress of uploading the members to the mailchimp, like:

6: After complete the process, disable the script or delete the ms-mailchimp-subscribe-old-members.php file from mu-plugins folder.

7: But if you choose to just disable it, then edit the file and disable the very bottom line, like:

This works for me well, let me know how it goes for you!

Best Regards,

Ari

• Roland
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thank you, Ari! This is a good step forward. I have the users in MailChimp now in a list called “Dionysos Wine Club”. The list only has email address, first anem, lastname and address field.

However, since there is no way from membership to send a mail to all new members to inform them of their wordpress username and password, I need to sync those to mailchimp as well. I have tried creating and extra column in the table, “Username” in the hope that standalone MailChimp plugin for WordPress would transfer these values too, but it didn’t . This is essentially the second part of my original question.

So, I can delete the member on mailchimp again and run the script you created, but how can it be modified to the extra fields I need will be transfered too? It would be really nice if there could be a mapping feature in the pluging, listing the WPMUDev Membership 2 columns/fields on the one side and a user choose the wanted column/field in mailchimp that is corresponds to.

Could you add that do the plugin?

• Ari
    • Recruit

Hey Roland

Hope you are fine!

What I understand that you need the username field not only for these 200 members, but you need it for upcoming members too, so in this case I have created separate mu-plugin.

Step 1: First delete all the members, in the delete mode, do not select Delete And Remove but Delete And Archive like:

Step 2: Then add a additional field with the field name of USERNAME like:

Step 3: Download this gist file https://gist.github.com/wpmudev-sls/a0e2cfed2a34f59610edd3e4c26bb69c then unzip it and upload the ms-mailchimp-additional-fields.php file to wp-content/mu-plugins folder.

Step 4: Run my previous script.

Info: Either you run my previous script or add new member, the second solution will work as long as you keep the file in the mu-plugins folder.

And this patch worked for me well, Let me know if that also works for you or if you have any question!

Warm Regards,

Ari

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.