Major conflict between membership and buddypress

I have looked at a lot of posts (over a year old) and I am still getting the same issues with Membership and BuddyPress.

Can someone CLEARLY explain how the two are meant to operate together.

Issues are:
1. Registration process - Is one plug-in predominant or do they work together? - it is NOT clear.
2. Renew Subsription buttons missing.
4. Pages from both plugins are CALLED the SAME THING - so you have no idea what plug in it belongs to.
5. Lack of up to date information in the manual and old queries (depressing to see the same issues cropping up a year ago).

1. Registration:
The Registration pages generated by these two are fighting - What is the right way to do it?????

Some answers to queries say to disable BuddyPress and let Membership handle it. Other answers say just the opposite. None of this is in the Manual (yes I have read it and downloaded it for Membership and this is not addressed in it).

I have both plugins installed and it is creating a major headache.

I have to nominate the Register page for each plug in (I was thinking I just had one page but discovered that there is the one I have on the WP website (a page called Register) and another "hidden" one is there as well.)

2. The Renew Subscription page I created lists the different subscriptions BUT THERE ARE NO BUTTONS TO CLICK ON TO RENEW. It justs lists the subscriptions.

3. A tester had trouble registering and there are clearly 3 different emails in the admin screen saying it is active, yet they could not register. WHAT is going on?

Can someone look at my site and set it up (Vinod, PC and a few others have the details sent previously - site is http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress.

4. I am back to square one - I am having trouble working out what pages belong to BP and what to Membership (why? There is a Members page in BP which is related to BP NOT the Membership plugin. There are TWO Register pages. There are TWO Activate pages (both are "hidden pages" but they show up in the list when you are in admin allocating pages in BP or Membership which is the only reason I know they are there as they don't show up on Pages when you go through them.

5. Why do you have to read all the previous issues (some from a long time ago) - why aren't the issues fixed or something put into the (updated -hint) manual to cover them off instead of discovering people have the same irritation over 12 months ago????

Most of the questions end with "as we haven't heard from you we are closing off this as resolved". Has it occurred to WPMU Dev that people are so FRUSTRATED they are leaving, and that is why there is no more correspondence ??? I am (just) persevering even tho' this is swallowing too much of my time as I need a functional website and the amount of time I go around in circles trying to figure things out is driving me nuts.

For the book: These hidden pages created by the plugins are also driving me nuts as you can't tell half the time what is being created so you can't tell what is giving you trouble!!!!! It would be better is SOMEHOW WP listed all the pages you create as well as all the ones each plug in creates and somehow indicates which ones are editable and which are not (ie are created on the fly by the software). It is too confusing.

Thanks if someone can help out quickly.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today.

1: BuddyPress should handle the registration Process.

By default, Membership uses it's own registration Process, when BuddyPress is activated, this is defaulted to the BuddyPress registration process. It should still use the /register page.

2: This depends entirely on the subscription type (finite, serial, indefinite) and the PayPal gateway used (I'll take a look at this on your site).

3: Sure, I'd be happy to take a look here, I've just located your login details and will take a look very shortly.

4: All pages that belong to membership are in membership > options > membership pages. All BuddyPress pages are then separate.

I'll check that as well :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Karen,

I've just spent time testing this and on the renewals, with your current settings, the option to renew their current subscription would only show if the gateway is PayPal standard and is 2 days before the expiry.

You have single payments gateway active as well, that should technically be deactivated, to work correctly. Only one PayPal gateway should be used.

On the registration, I registered with BuddyPress, but the activation link doesn't work and sends you in a loop back to the registration page, which is why the person testing was having issues.

Would you mind if I tested for plugin conflicts and changed some settings?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Go for it...as I said it is doing my head in at present.

More info:
    All my testers registered on the site and they ONLY show up on the Membership plug-in admin screens. No one selected a membership that I can see (I told them it was in sandbox but I have to check to see if they were even asked). I will ask them today about their experience. I notice one email saying "Password Lost and Changed for user: Theamr" - she was the one who logged in three times and said it wasn't working. Here is what she noted:

My attempts to sign up to the membership section have been unsuccessful. Clicking on the activation link took me back to the registration page and then when I tried to log in using my user name it kept telling me that it hadn’t been activated and defaulting back to my email address instead.

NOT ONE person ended up registered with Buddypress (this is what I found confusing as I was looking at BuddyPress to see when people joined up - and NOONE had - yet I found them all against Membership (and I was not notified in any way that they had joined up.

I don't know what I did yesterday but I ended up with the Account Page (which I tried to rename My Account to make it clearer for users) is now NOT ACCESSIBLE. I have virtually given up.

I am looking at removing Membership and just going with the BuddyPress function - which defeats the purpose of having the darn plug-in to generate income which it was supposed to do.

I was supposed to have a new site for 2014 -but I can't tell you how much time just trying to get things working has swallowed (months of frustrating lack of progress). I am a small business owner - I have to admit your org's marketing is brilliant, but the plug-ins don't live up to the hype (sorry, but it's true) which is why people drop off as they can't be bothered if it isn't easy to use. I am going to have to strip back to bare basics and not have all the features I thought I was going to be able to "easily" implement (as per the marketing bumph).

***General Comment:***
    Why are the manuals not updated? - especially this one as it causes more grief than anything. In fact - to me it needs a major rethink - it is far too complicated and there is NO CLEAR ANALOGIES or EXPLANATIONS for how it is meant to work. You would have enough case studies from the questions asked to give lots of examples for people to follow - that would be a great investment of someone's time there.
    It is crazy to expect people to spend HOURS and DAYS trolling through all the comments - which are not listed in date order so you are getting a mix of very old stuff and new stuff (and mostly it looks like nothing ever gets addressed and so people leave the site).

Why aren't the issues updated in the manual AS THEY ARE SOLVED - then retire the issue so it doesn't show in the list. It is a MAJOR IRRITATION to be told to look at the Manual when it hasn't been updated for years. Manuals are not static documents - or set and forget. They need to be constantly updated and there should be ONE place for people to go to find the answers to their queries.

***end of rant***

Perhaps if I just tell you how I want it to work you could set it up for me? It is impossible for the general person to understand how Membership works given the information available. It needs to be make more understandable.

On that note - I cannot imagine how many paying customers you guys are losing, but it must be a lot. Perhaps someone should check - it might give you pause to realise investing in good documentation is worth it financially. Hope that helps.

• Karen

Jack

I see you got in and are registered with Membership. Were you able to fix any of it?

I have been looking through Membership/Buddypress issues and while they are 2-3 years old, the same problems keep cropping up (as I've mentioned in a number of threads so there is a cross reference).

Post # 332020 is the exact same issue I am having! (listed one YEAR ago).
    It appears I need to turn off BuddyPress registration and only use Membership
    (Post #332090).

I should only have ONE register page (using Membership)
    PS While you are told to "turn off BP" no one actually gives any details on how to do that - FYI.

I would still like to know why the user info in Membership is not showing in BuddyPress if they "work together".

I would also like to know the rationale behind BuddyPress and Membership - once Membership is activated - it appears to mean the functionality of BP changes, so it is subordinated to Membership which means that IN ORDER TO USE BUDDYPRESS, it has to be part of a subscription???? Why must it?? This doesn't make any sense. I thought people could be part of a BP community and buy subscriptions for access to information that you wanted to sell. Any parts of BP you didn't want them to access would be eg in Private groups.

Is this clearly stated anywhere???

Thanks for any clarification.

• Karen

Jack

In having a look around the issues others are having, your comment above (copied below) contradicts what everyone else has said (ie that Membership is the main registration and should handle it and buddypress should be turned off). It is also not what is showing on my site.

1: BuddyPress should handle the registration Process.

By default, Membership uses it's own registration Process, when BuddyPress is activated, this is defaulted to the BuddyPress registration process. It should still use the /register page.

Those registering are being added to Membership and are NOT appearing ANYWHERE in Buddypress which is what I was keeping an eye on only to accidentally see them listed on the Membership screens (in admin) :

FYI.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today, I've done some checking here and it seems to be a conflict, possibly a database issue.

The members aren't getting added to BuddyPress, as the activation link doesn't work and just directs back to the registration page, so this means they are never technically registered.

I've just been discussing this with the lead developer and he's also going to take a look at your issues here between membership and BuddyPress.

Could you send me your FTP details please so I can further test and update to the latest beta 7 please of memebership?

Please send to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

On the docs issues, the docs for this are currently being rewritten at the moment.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Thanks for the response.

1. I have given access to my site to WPMU Dev staff via the WPMU Dev dashboard so you should be able to get in. Support access is ACTIVE until January 16, 2014 1:43 pm

1.1 Why do you need FTP access? Are you wanting access to my hosting account so you can see the file structure or to add something. I use CuteFTP and Hostmonster to access my site. FYI. Sorry but I need more info to know what to send you.

2. Where do I find " latest beta 7 please of membership"? That isn't clear. I need explicit instructions to find it. Thanks.

3. Great about the manual.
    Please see these posts - the underlying assumptions for the Membership and BuddyPress plugins and how they (don't/do) work together needs to be clear.

Please direct the manual writers to this thread:
    585267 - they are all in the one thread.

I am not sure if it will help - but what i have gathered (over many lost hours reading most of the posts up to 3 years old) is that:

1. I have to have a FREE membership and then I have to add BuddyPress access to it before anyone will be able to see or access BuddyPress.

2. Apparently Membership takes over and you have to deactivate BuddyPress AND WordPress registration (although this was a 2 year old post so I am not sure if that still applies or not).

2.1 Just HOW one deactivates BuddyPress and WordPress registration - is not written anywhere that I have seen/come across.
    2.2 HOW someone then gets their details into BuddyPress - after signing up for FREE membership - is also not clear.

These are my next issue/s to resolve so I have posted it in the hope someone can respond with something that makes sense.

If this gives you a clue to the problem, let me know.

In the meantime I am working on the site to see what I can do to make it work.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

The BuddyPress registration shouldn't be disabled, as that handles the sign up, so a member can still use BuddyPress registration, visit the subscription page and add a subscription if that makes sense?

I only needed the FTP for installing the latest beta, but you can find the latest beta attached to this post https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/authorizenet-gateway-beta-release#post-570672 (make sure you're logged in to see the download).

So if you installed that, I wouldn't need the FTP :slight_smile:

Let me know once beta7 is installed and I'll start testing and getting this sorted for you :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Without updating to the Beta 7 version, can some of my questions (above) please get answered....I need basic info to get my site working.

I am stuck on which frigging box to check at the start of Membership - as I need FREE and PAID subscriptions (the FREE is caused by Membership registration "taking over" BP and having to create access via an Access Level). I want to have PAID subscriptions on the site. The choices at initial set up are NOT clear. I wanted just PAID but find I am FORCED to use FREE Subscriptions to have BP available for no cost.

Can you also advise the following (the questions above reiterated in the hope they get answered):

1. Is this correct?:I have to have a FREE membership and then I have to add BuddyPress access to it before anyone will be able to see or access BuddyPress.

2. As Membership takes over - do you deactivate BuddyPress registration OR NOT? (Patrick -Post #585589 - says YES but you (above) say NO (which is it???)

...do you still need WordPress registration (I am confused how this registration fits in to the whole process now). If irrelevant, please advise.

2 Please explain how the BP registration works with Membership - if BP is an Access level because of the Membership Plug in - does someone have to sign up separately to BP AFTER signing up for Membership; Can they get done at the same time?

Please answer the specific questions so I can move ON with this. Thanking me for asking the question - then NOT answering them - is NOT helping.

Thank you.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

I am stuck on which frigging box to check at the start of Membership - as I need FREE and PAID subscriptions (the FREE is caused by Membership registration "taking over" BP and having to create access via an Access Level). I want to have PAID subscriptions on the site. The choices at initial set up are NOT clear. I wanted just PAID but find I am FORCED to use FREE Subscriptions to have BP available for no cost.

Not sure which check box you're referring to here? If you're referring to the membership wizard checkboxes, don't use the wizard. If you're referring to the stranger settings in membership > options > general, that does need to be set (Explained below).

1. Is this correct?:I have to have a FREE membership and then I have to add BuddyPress access to it before anyone will be able to see or access BuddyPress.

Yes and No, I'd recommend adding a stranger setting that has access to BuddyPress, then you can have a free subscription that has BuddyPress access (positive rules) and a paid one (positive rule).

If you're using positive rules though, you don't specifically need to add BuddyPress access on any level, as when using positive rules, if the rule isn't in one access level it won't be protected at all. If it is in one group for instance free, but not paid, it'll be blocked on paid levels, as it's already being protected because free has access.

If you're using negative rules, I'd recommend switching to positive rules.

2. As Membership takes over - do you deactivate BuddyPress registration OR NOT? (Patrick -Post #585589 - says YES but you (above) say NO (which is it???)

We don't have a system for me to check what post #585589 is, could I have a direct link please?

But the answer is no, you do not disable BuddyPress registration, BuddyPress takes over Memberships registration and not vice versa. A user can then add a subscription on the subscriptions page.

It's important the membership registration page doesn't have the /register slug in membership > options > membership pages.

2 Please explain how the BP registration works with Membership - if BP is an Access level because of the Membership Plug in - does someone have to sign up separately to BP AFTER signing up for Membership; Can they get done at the same time?

BuddyPress isn't an access level and doesn't need to be, rather BuddyPress handles registration, a user can then after having registered choose a subscription.

Alternatively if they visit the membership subscriptions page and click sign up, they create a account using BuddyPress and then checkout for the subscription, though this isn't the recommend way of doing it.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

This is very confusing.

1. You said: " Not sure which check box you're referring to here? If you're referring to the membership wizard checkboxes, don't use the wizard. If you're referring to the stranger settings in membership > options > general, that does need to be set (Explained below)."

It is the USER REGISTRATION (ie under the STRANGER SETTINGS). They talk about PAID and FREE - and they have DIFFERENT SETTINGS. If I want to use PAID AND FREE Subscriptions WHICH BOX DO I TICK?. I can't make that any clearer. Look at the text in that box.

(I was told that - with Membership AND BuddyPress installed - I had to create BP as an ACCESS LEVEL and then add to a FREE Membership.

2. "Yes and No, I'd recommend adding a stranger setting that has access to BuddyPress, then you can have a free subscription that has BuddyPress access (positive rules) and a paid one (positive rule).

Are you, PC and Patrick ALL on the SAME page?????????

I have a VISITOR level.
    You can only have ONE stranger setting that I can see.

3. Your " you don't specifically need to add BuddyPress access on any level" contradicts with what I have been told by Patrick.

I ONLY want people I know accessing BUDDYPRESS - it is a community site for my professional colleagues. They do NOT have to pay for it, but they do need to sign into the site so we know who is joining.

4. "We don't have a system for me to check what post #585589 is, could I have a direct link please?"
    REALLY? I was told to use the ID number to refer to a post. What is the point of having an ID. How do you then find the exact post in a long thread if you only give the topic URL?

5. "But the answer is no, you do not disable BuddyPress registration, BuddyPress takes over Memberships registration and not vice versa. A user can then add a subscription on the subscriptions page."

Please read: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-someone-advise-if-this-is-possible#post-586906 (post #58722)

6. It's important the membership registration page doesn't have the /register slug in membership > options > membership pages.

I have it set to a page called Subscriptions - as it tells you to have a page that has [subscriptionform] - and as it just lists the available subscriptions - it is not actually a Register page at all. It is a subscriptions page. I agree that it will take you to the Create an Account page and this isn't ideal (mainly as it makes NO logical sense to a site user to choose a subscription in order to register.

I just want to use the plugin and get moving.

Can you please consult with PC and Patrick and get the story straight and agree on how it should work so poor buggers like me can actually get on with installing it so we can get back to running a business. Thank you.

• Karen

IGNORE THIS particular post - It is a test.
    This is a test to see if "

" is the thing that indents the text you copy when answering questions
    " Not sure which check box you're referring to here? If you're referring to the membership wizard checkboxes, don't use the wizard. If you're referring to the stranger settings in membership > options > general, that does need to be set (Explained below)."
  • Karen

Jack

I am still waiting on the developer to check as per your comments above:

The members aren't getting added to BuddyPress, as the activation link doesn't work and just directs back to the registration page, so this means they are never technically registered.

I've just been discussing this with the lead developer and he's also going to take a look at your issues here between membership and BuddyPress.

You can access my site via support until 26 Jan - I NEED HELP!

Can it be fixed asap please? I can not be the only one experiencing this surely?

Thanks....as I watch another wasted day go by...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.