Major Issue with QA Plugin

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/issues-questions-widget-categories-and?replies=3#post-309559

Sorry for double posting...

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

It works fine for me, but:

If you made a critical change in permalinks (like changing category name), just go to Settings>Permalinks and hit Save. This will flush existing permalinks and rebuild them.

BTW, this is not about Q&A.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• phyve
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I didn't make a critical change to permalinks.

1. I added the QA plugin

2. created categories within the QA that happened to have the same name as some of my Defaut Post Categories.

3. I noticed after doing this, the clicking the categories in q & a front end were taking me to the main site category instead of the Q & A - specific category.

4. So I tried to change the name of one of the categories in the QA. Only to realize it changed the name of the Post Category as well.

I then went to the permalinks and resaved but still have the issue.

I'm confused as to how this isn't a Q&A issue, when I did nothing other than install the Q & A plugin. Now they've merged with my default post categories and I can't, delete or rename because it will delete the categories with the same name but in a different post type.

Any insight is much appreciated,

Thanks

• phyve

so to reiterate above.

Q&A Post Type Categories vs. Default Post Categories - become one in the same if they have the same name.

I'm not doing anything complicated to create my own issue, I'm a designer not a developer, so hence my confusion.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

It is not about Q&A, because being a custom post type, it simply uses WordPress' internal category creation feature and that feature does not make a check if a category with that name already exists or not.

Renaming of a category is handled by WordPress too.

Simply delete the question category and create a new one with the desired name.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• phyve

Thats the core source of the problem im explaining I dont have the option of delete the question category because it will also delete the post category.

And the post categories it it associated with has 1000+ articles that will become disassociated... Not all will become uncategorized because they may be associated with more than one category.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Like i said the posts and questions categories that share the same name have become one in the same. What i change in one will affect the other within wordpress.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Thats the core source of the problem im explaining I dont have the option of delete the question category because it will also delete the post category.

No, deleting the question category on "Question Categories" tab will only delete it as a question category, it will remain as post category.

Obviously there is a bug in WordPress core while renaming categories with the same name (It doesn't check the post type), but fortunately this doesn't happen while deleting.

i checked this in WP 3.4.2, but if you want to be completely sure yourself, please create a sample category with the same name under Posts and Questions again and delete it using Question Categories page. Check if category under Posts stays there.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• phyve

Hi Hakan,

You were right...

If you delete a custom post type category with the same name as the default posts AND that category is used in the custom menus, it will remove the custom menu item and you will have to go back and rebuild the menu.

That's why I thought the category disappeared because the default post category would disappear from the menu when the custom post type category was deleted (with the same name).

Now I can see it is definitely a wordpress bug.

Funny thing is the same thing happened to me a year ago when I used the old q and a, but I ended up creating a taxonomy.php file that handled the issue of clicking a taxonomy and it went to the main site instead of the Q and A, not realizing it was a wordpress bug.

Thanks

• phyve

With that being said I have successfully updated my categories. Unfortunately the same approach will not work for Tags because those are user generated.

How can i ensure if someone clicks on a tags in QandA it doesn't go back to the original site tags?

Do you know what would be the code snippet for this and where would it be placed?

Thanks

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings of the day.

I was doing a regular followup today and found that we missed your last post on this one.

Are you still seeking support on this one or managed to get it resolved ? Please let us know so that we can take it further and assist you on the same :slight_smile:

Thanks for being a great community member !

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.