major pro sites bug -- payment received and client can't login

Very frustrating. In the screenshot you'll see the stripe payment record. And at the top? Says the site is expired. Client cannot log in. This follows ANOTHER bug which is that the subscription failed... she had registered a month ago and the payment did not auto-renew which forced her to re-subscribe.

Losing money on this as this has caused her so much frustration and delay that I have to give her a free month to keep her happy. Hope someone can jump on this ASAP as I'm concerned this error is going to happen with everyone else.

Support Access granted.

• Sajid

Hi @peter_harris

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear its not working for you. I have tried to replicate that issue on my own site but could not reproduce it. The payment went out and member could access the site after that.

Its may be causing due to a plugin or theme on your setup. Please try to run a quick plugin and theme conflict test as illustrated in our getting support manual.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If the issue is still there then please provide us more details about the issue, so I can try to recreate on my own test site. For example, I need to know what payment method you are using ? What modules are active on your ProSites ? The signup on checkout option is enabled or not ? with other useful information.

Also I know its your live site, but do you have a staging site where I can test it out with sandbox credentials? If yes then please also enable support staff access.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• peter_harris

Wow, really? Pro Sites functionality is so vulnerable to plugin/theme conflicts that it could cease to function? How can anyone be expected to run a multisites business if that's the case?

Modules - themes, plugins and upload quota. You should be able to see all of that right? Already enabled support access.
    Payment method - Stripe, as displayed in the screenshot.

Don't really have three hours to manually install every plugin on my test server. Is there a faster way to do that??

But if its a plugin or theme conflict, then I really need to get into a different business, as one can't spend hours and hours searching out every minor little conflict... it's also quite illogical, as the pro sites plugin functioned perfectly fine until the last update. Saw lots of mentions about updates to the Stripe gateway, so isn't it more logical that it's directly connected to this?

• Code Injector

From all the previous Pro Sites updates in the past up until today, it's required me to checking all the site flow and functions which are related to Pro Sites, NBT, and Domain Mapping -- couldn't leave it as it is or in other words, be in peace after clicking update button, always causing any a small-medium headache afterward. Love the well-rounded, one-stop service providing all sort of plugins with the WPMUDEV but the major drawback is they always release the new updates which isn't quite stable and may conflict with an existing plugins.

• Sajid

Hi @peter_harris

I asked to check the plugins because there can be conflicts with other plugins. Its quite common thing in WordPress.

I missed that screenshot ? Ooops, I did :slight_frown: Please accept my humble apologies for the confusion and overlooking the original ticket.

However, I still could reproduce this issue on my own sandbox site with stripe payment method in test mode. I could successfully subscribed and got access to my dashboard. Then I tried to update to a higher level with annual payment cycle and its again updated my profile with correct extension. Does this happened to only one member ?

Don't really have three hours to manually install every plugin on my test server. Is there a faster way to do that??

Here is a nice article on how to create a staging/dev site of your main site.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/testing-environment-wordpress/
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-staging-environment-for-a-wordpress-site/

Here are also a plugin that would help you set it up.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-staging/

Or even more here:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/staging

Please grant support access to that staging site when its ready, so I could login and test the stripe checkout by creating a new account. However, the staging site is not only good for this type of scenario but its recommended to have a staging site of a live site to test plugins and do upgrades there before pushing it to live site right away.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• peter_harris

Hi @Sajid I definitely need to figure out this staging server setup, so thank you for the links. Unfortunately won't be able to do it immediately.

In regards to your test, where you said you couldn't replicate the issue... I don't think that was a real test, whether in sandbox mode or not. The reason is that it doesn't include all of the additional steps/problems that have likely occurred. Now, this may get difficult to explain...

A few months ago another site (riverswithin) had a similar problem -- client subscribed and the payment did not auto-renew, then her site went offline, as the domain mapping shut down. When that problem happened, I noticed that the Subscriber/Subscription boxes were empty even though the previous payment gateway was showing Stripe. When I posted about this issue someone suggested trying to install a beta version of Pro Sites because other people were also experiencing problems related to Stripe. I tried the beta and had some other problem, so I reverted to the previous official version.

Then, a month later and a similar issue... a payment transaction marked as "Stripe webhook "customer.subscription.created" received: Customer successfully subscribed" but the Pro Sites level still stuck at the free level, effectively disabling the real domain mapping for that site.

So, given these multiple events and considering that someone in WPMUdev support suggested I use a beta version of the plugin to try to solve stripe-related issues makes me think that there is STILL something wrong with the payment system, as it is really about one specific thing.... the payment transaction occurs and the pro sites level isn't changed.

Hoping therefore that you can track down who it was on the development team was working on those previous bugs so they can jump in on this and provide more direct feedback as to possible bugs with the payment system. (Especially considering it could take an entire month to do a test on the dev server to see if a one-month subscription fails to renew.)

Support access enabled.

• peter_harris

P.S. Another oddity with this... the Riverswithin site that I mentioned, being the first site I saw troubles with pro sites renewal... it's listed as "expired pro sites" which usually means that the domain mapping plugin shuts off (as intended) but in THIS CASE, the domain still works. With the site referenced in my screenshot, that one DID shut off domain mapping when the domain "accidentally" expired.

• Sajid

Hi @peter_harris

Thanks for posting all these helpful information and explaining the issue very well.

Yes, I tested it on my sandbox staging site with test mode of stripe payment gateway.

I am flagging SLS (Second Line Support) so they can take a closer look on your website. Hope they had this issue before and might have more information regarding this issue. He will post a reply as soon as possible on this ticket.

Thanks for your patience and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.