MAJOR SYSTEM ERROR with Subscriptions by Email

Subsribe by email has a caused a major error deleting all content (Pages, posts, courses and media) on my site.

The issue occurred when I went to set up Subscribe by email and checked the existing subscriptions page.

This Subscriptions page listed all actions on the site. You can see this by adding a new media, item, page, post, course or project to the current site. You will see it gets added as a subscription to this list - see http://reading.simplecsr.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=sbe-subscribers

I manually (using the drop box bulk edit feature) cancelled these subscriptions and without any warning all content has been deleted from my site.

Only woocommerce products have survived.

I would like to recover the lost content if possible but i also need to resolve this issue with new content being added as subscriptions before i can disable the subscriptions plugin.

I lost a lot of content but i can put it back manually... But this is a potential nightmare for other users and should be a top priority to resolve.

Thanks
Chris

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @chris,

Boy, this is a weird issue! Let's dig into this more, shall we? :slight_smile:

Just to be sure, have you already tried going through our handy troubleshooting chart, which can be found here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

I'm not seeing this take place in a test install of mine (which is also running WordPress 4.0), so I'm curious as to whether this might be caused by either a plugin or a theme that you have.

Another question I'd like to ask is, who's the host that you're with presently?

Please advise,
    Michael

• chris
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Michael,

It is weird and very troubling. I have never come across a plugin capable of deleting everything on a wordpress site without any warning.

I have added some new content with the subscribe by email plugin active and it is all being added into the subscription list. You can test this out by creating content on the site and seeing if it is added into the subscriptions list.

I have coursepress active which as you know i have other issues with. I am suspicious of this.

I am going to remove the other themes from the site that are not used and any unused plugins.

My host is TSOhost (in the UK) on a VPS server. But i have other sites hosted on the same server without similar issues.

Thanks
    Chris

• chris
    • The Crimson Coder

HI Michael,

It is definitely an issue with coursepress.

I had a similar set up without Coursepress or Subscribe by email on another site. http://isabel.simplecsr.com

I installed both these plugins and the same issue occurred.

To test i then deactivated coursepress on reading.simplecsr.com and the subscriptions list returned to normal.

To reiterate: with both subscribe by email and courspress active the subscriptions list populates with all content on the entire wordpress site.

If you then "Cancel subscriptions" all the content is deleted without warning.

This was 80+ items for me... all disappeared in one click!

I know subscribe by email works on its own - but clearly this is an urgent issue to resolve with coursepress. Can you make the courspress and/or Subscribe by Email developer aware and get a fix for this as soon as possible.

I will leave both active on the site temporarily.

Thanks
    Chris

• chris
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi,

Any update on this? I want to get on with things but cant until i either remove the subscribe plugin (in which case the developers wont see the error) or coursepress gets an update.

(I am going to try and reproduce on another site using an entirely different theme and file configuration. )

Thanks
    Chris

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @chris

I hope you are well today.

I can confirm it is a bug and a conflict with coursepress and SBE, I got the same in my test site.

I am letting the developer know right now, and hopefully it will be sorted ASAP. We appreciate your patience on this.

Cheers
    Ash

• chris
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Marko,

I can confirm it is all now working as expected following the Version 1.0.7 update.

I have tested adding new pages and media - these behave normally.

I have also enable and tested the subscribe by email plugin and subscriptions now work as expected.

Thanks for fixing this.

Best wishes
    Chris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.