Make CoursePress Pro look like the CoursePress Theme

Hello, I have the same question/request as in this post, but I saw that Staff (Tyler who provided great support here!) requested that different themes be in a new thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-design-the-coursepress-pro-on-my-theme-look-like-the-coursepress-theme

I’d like to have all the CoursePress Pro pages laid out like the CoursePress theme, but in my theme, Shoestrap, and for all the CoursePress pages instead of just the /courses page. I don’t want to keep my sidebar on any of the CoursePress pages either, so would I need to use the Custom Sidebars Pro plugin too?

What do you think???

Thanks!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Jesse!

Can you please link me to one of your course pages so I can find the right CSS elements to give you? Please also make sure it’s a public page, or, if you aren’t ready for your site to be public, can you grant support access so I can see it up close?

Thanks, Jesse!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Jesse

We work off a feed system here. Each of us works several hours per week covering new posts on the front line, then we do follow ups from oldest to newest. That’s why your reply wasn’t instant. We’re all usually working with many members at once across multiple threads, any delay means we’re trying to give all our members the support they need.

I see you’ve revoked support access? If you’ll please reenable I’ll prioritize your thread above all my others so I can take a look at your site.

I’ll be closing your other thread as a duplicate – please keep your support questions in the thread where they’re started. Creating multiple threads can get confusing, and if multiple teams are working on your issue, that’s one team that could be busy helping another member as well.

Thanks for your understanding and re-enabling support access.

• Jesse
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, I re-enabled access. I created a new thread because after reading more, I dug into another thread, asked a follow up question there and was told to start a new thread by that Staff person, so I closed this thread.

Here is new info below from the new post as an update.

In this post, there are some .php files listed that need to be copied. What is the complete list of files that need to be copied from the CoursePress Theme?

I tried copying the listed files and received an error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function coursepress_post_nav() in /nas/wp/www/staging/procenter/wp-content/themes/shoestrap-3/single-course.php on line 16

What other steps need to be taken to ensure my theme is able to ‘reference’ the new .php templates for the CoursePress pages?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey Jesse!

There’s a simpler way to do this, I think, by just borrowing some CSS from CoursePress, like in the original thread where salvatore asked his question, before he was sent to his own thread.

There are a LOT of CoursePress template files in the CoursePress theme. If you view your site in FTP, go to wp-content/plugins/coursepress/themes – that full list (except functions.php) is all template files for different components within CoursePress. Ultimately, I don’t think this is what you want, since you simply want to apply the CoursePress theme styles to your site, and for that you need a lot of CSS.

While you’ve still got FTP open, take a look at wp-content/plugins/coursepress/themes/coursepress/style.css.

The specific styles that apply to courses and course pages start on about line 897, where it says this: /* COURSES ARCHIVE */ and they continue to the end, around line 3084. The elements you see in the CoursePress theme are all there in your theme, they’re just styled using your theme’s defaults instead of CoursePress’s. Adding the CSS items that correlate to the parts you want to change on your site is just a matter of finding the right element in the CoursePress file and adding it to your theme’s custom CSS file or a custom CSS plugin.

Ultimately, that’s a lot of custom CSS to wrangle, and there are probably parts you won’t need to copy, but it’s the CSS, not the PHP template files, you need here.

Thanks!

• Jesse
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey!

I tried inserting that CSS. It doesn’t seem to have worked very well. The elements are not aligned at all. The only thing that seems to have changed are the fonts and colors mainly. There are even some pages without any formatting at all (this was also the case before):

http://procenter.staging.wpengine.com/courses-dashboard

I’d also like to get rid of the sidebar on the /course pages, but it doesn’t look like there are any Pages related to Courses that have been created where I can do that by changing the Page Template to one without a sidebar.

What do I do? Is it a combination of the PHP and this CSS?

Thanks,

Jesse

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.