Make "Global Site Search" find "private posts" across network

In the description of Global Site Search Plugin it is clearly mentioned that

This plugin only searches posts on public blogs — any posts on private blogs (only visible to logged in users) aren’t searchable.

However, a particular network install needs the functionality for global search across all blogs (sub-sites) while the entire network stays private (open only for logged in users).

Wish to know if there's a quick fix to this or would take too much work and I should rather try some other plugin/solution?

FYI: I've searched this over and over on various sites, google, etc. before posting it here :slight_smile:

• Sajid

Hi @crplz,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

As mentioned on plugin page its not possible to grab private posts. It will only list the public posts. I am afraid there is no quick workaround/solution for this issue and making it to pull private posts is a complex job that is beyond the level of support we can provide here.

To make it work that way, you might need to hire a developer to customize it according to your requirements from jobs board or find an alternate plugin.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Gorakh Sirsikar

Thanks Sajid!

In that case, I am not sure if I want to go ahead with the customisation of this plugin or rather look at a completely different solution. Reason being, customisation to regularly updated plugins is increasingly difficult, especially because ensuring that the customisation stays free of potential conflicts that may arise in future feature updates of that plugin is a big hassle.

Certainly I will not expect this to be done as a support request either. Just that sometimes people have small snippets/scripts as a workaround to the lacunae of features in their plugins/themes/etc. which they prefer to continue because very few buyers really want that feature. Or at times that a customised feature has a conflict that affects most buyers, but not those who need that feature desperately. For example StudioPress maintains a lot of snippets under a tab "code snippets" merely for customisation of various features of their themes, been so for years.

Thanks for confirming, though I was wondering if we can request it as a feature for the future releases of this plugin. Perhaps it might be of use to many others, not sure. Please let me know if there's a way to do so.

Bon Weekend!

• Sajid

Hi @crplz,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry we don't have snippets library at the moment. However we do have our SLS (Second Line Support) support staff that can provide small snippets/workaround to accomplish small tasks as long as they are not complex customization jobs when it totally needs to change the scope of what a plugin actually does.

We do have Features and Feedback section where our members can make a suggestion or request a new feature of theme or plugin. But I can not move it to this section because this is a legacy plugin. That said, it will only receive critical security updates.

So, in this case you can use the existing source code of this plugin and modify it according to your requirements.

Hope that explains and have a fantastic day :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Gorakh Sirsikar

Thanks again Sajid!

As I said, it's really nice to know the details clearly, instead of guesswork. For example, the most important part about the plugin which I just got to know was that it's now a legacy plugin and shall only be maintained to receive critical security updates. Well that's a might big thing hidden right there. Am going to try and check that out before using the plugin repository.

In fact I just checked out there's no real way to find out if a plugin is legacy or not, especially because I have been an old user of wpmu dev. I don't want to commit using an important plugin for a big project like I had once used CustomPress few years ago and had to redo the custom post-types as there was some compatibility issue back then.

Can you tell us how to find out if the plugin is going to be updated for features & functionality or whether it's moved in to the legacy folder? That'll be really useful to know.

• Gorakh Sirsikar

Thanks Nastia! It's certainly more helpful to know how to find out if the plugin is possibly active or not. However, as I have mentioned earlier, it would've been nice to know right away. Like for example, we have filters on theme seller's websites which list the themes by responsive/not, or by genre, etc. If we had a active/legacy filter to narrow down on the plugins page, that'd help a lot. Anyways, just sharing my opinion, if there's a place to put requests for such features I'd do it, let me know.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.