make snapshot bckp after each change (aka post/page/edit)

I just read that Vaultpress offers such a feature and I think snapshot could do it too.
Each and every change done on a site should/could trigger an instant backup of that specific information.

here is my +1

• Ovidiu

haven't heard about that tool Joe.
    still, the devs might want to check if snapshot can be extended the way I asked, If it can be that would be really,really, cool :slight_smile:

Vaultpress claims: VaultPress provides realtime, continuous backup and synchronization of every post, comment, media file, revision and dash­board setting and Using WordPress hooks to receive alerts when information changes on your site, VaultPress immediately syncs all of your changes with our servers. The net result? copies of your data, backed up continuously and in realtime.

• Paul

As the Snapshot plugin developer I wanted to respond to this thread. Agreed this would be very cool. But there is one consideration. The VaultPress solution pushes your site data to a centralized server. So from a business model solution we would need to setup this similar type model where we have a small server farm to maintain the needed load. This is partly why VaultPress is a monthly subscription.

As an alternate I/we have looked as something the user can setup where you are replicating once site's database regularly to a different server you have control of. Would obviously not make good sense to backup to the same server.

Another issue (from what I can tell) with the VaultPress implementation is non-WordPress tables are not includes. This is partly because the various hooks used to capture actions like when a taxonomy term is added/edited, or a comment added to the site database.

Regarding the marketing spin you quoted in your last comment the sync is not actually immediate. This is a mis-statement. The actions are queued up within your site and synced some moments later. If your site is fairly low to moderate in changes these might seem immediate. But on a busy site where there are lots of changes (comments, whatever) this could get behind. Realize the VaultPress plugin you install on your site to sync to the remote VaultPress server is much slower than an update to your local database. So you could in effect update a taxonomy term twice for example before the VaultPress plugin has a chance to connect and update on the first of your changes.

As always we thank you and value your input. Do keep it coming. Having these ideas from real users is much better than us sitting in a (virtual) room brainstorming on ideas. As the moment I'm just trying to get the basic backup/restore functionality working across the various combinations of site setups. Which is a task in and of itself.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.