Maketpress Store Setup Help

Hi,

I am using Wordpress + Buddypress + Marketpress + Multisite (With the FrameMarket theme) and have gone through all the settings I can see in the admin interface and also read through as many forum posts and docs I can but can not find anything on how to do the following:

1) How do I allow users to create their own shop. Ideally this would be part of the registration process or presented as an option "create your store" after signup. As an aside I can create new stores in the admin area and these work fine. Just need to allow users to do this.

2) The docs say: "Use our advanced Adaptive Payments gateway - Take a predetermined percentage fee of all store sales on your network! Completely automated and invisible to store customers". I can't find this plugin or option in the settings anywhere to do this though.

I can't find any detailed documentation on the theme or how to customise the layout and design. Are there any docs anywhere? I don't want to keep bothering people on the forums if I can help it.

Thanks

Adam

• Mason

Hiya Adam,

Let's see if we can tackle each of these for ya:

1) How do I allow users to create their own shop. Ideally this would be part of the registration process or presented as an option "create your store" after signup. As an aside I can create new stores in the admin area and these work fine. Just need to allow users to do this.

I'd recommend using our new blog template plugin to create a template store - then each new site that is created will automatically have the marketpress plugin and theme activated and ready to go:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

As to a 'create your own store' link or similar. You may want to create a custom signup page on your site to add this to the finished product - you can also customize the default emails sent by WordPress on registration so that folks have a link to the products admin page or store settings.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wp-signupphp

2) The docs say: "Use our advanced Adaptive Payments gateway - Take a predetermined percentage fee of all store sales on your network! Completely automated and invisible to store customers". I can't find this plugin or option in the settings anywhere to do this though.

Just go to your Network Admin>Settings>MarketPress
    Make sure 'Enable Global shopping cart' is set to 'No'

Then set 'PayPal Chained Payments' to 'All Can Use' and all other gateway options to 'No Access'. This will force all stores to use the chained gateway. You can set up your PayPal settings in this same page - individual stores will then simply enter in their paypal address in their settings and the plugin takes care of the rest :slight_smile:

As for documentation on theme and how to edit/customize we don't have a lot available as the theme is literally only 2 weeks old. We're working on making more thorough documentation, but until it's released feel free to post questions here on the forums or in any of our weekly live chat sessions.

Thanks!

• aseabridge

James, Thank you very much for your help.

I had no problems with 2) after following your directions. I do recall some limit on the number of stores that a user can buy from (is it 10?).

However I am still struggling with 1). I think I understand what you are saying about using the blog template plugin to setup a default layout and creating a custom page for the "create store" link.
    However when I register as a new user on the site and go to site settings (admin area) I don't see any options to create a store or any blogs listed. All I can do is edit my profile. Do I need to change a setting somewhere or do users need to be registered with a certain permission/role to allow them to create stores?

Thanks

Adam

• Mason

Hiya Adam,

However when I register as a new user on the site and go to site settings (admin area) I don't see any options to create a store or any blogs listed.

You'll need to choose 'Yes, I'd like to create a new blog' or similar during signup. They should then be made 'admin' of their own blog. It sounds to me like you're registering as a new user - which would have a 'subscriber' role, and not give you access to things like posts etc.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you need anything further.

• aseabridge

Hi, I think I'm being a bit thick here but I am a bit confused. If I try and register a new account on the website front-end I am not given an option like "Yes, I'd like to create a new blog". Also in the dashboard area for "add user" or in the network admin "add user" area I am not given an option like this to create a blog for a user. I can pick their role here though.

Do I need to use something like the members plugin to allow users to register using a specific role or something else to get this option to show for users? I am unsure how to move forward with this.

Thanks

Adam

• Mason

Hiya Adam,

I'm assuming you're running the Multisite version of WordPress, correct? You'd definitely need to be running that. Information is available on that in the codex:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

We also have information on this in our manuals here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/

If you have the network installed (running WordPress Multisite) then you also want to be sure you have new user and site registration enabled. Go to Network Admin>Settings and check the registration settings there.

Hope this helps!

• aseabridge

Thanks very much for your help. That was the missing option.

However I found once I did this that the user is automatically allocated the "admin" role when creating their blog (store), which gave far too many permissions. So I had to install a whole bunch of plugins to create a new "store owner" role with just "create/edit/delete product permissions" and assign this automatically when the user creates a store instead of the "admin role". I also added a plugin to hide some of the admin options from users. Lastly I modified the join page to change the text of "create new blog" to "create new store". This is pretty much working how I want it to now. I modified the file here: /wordpress/wp-content/themes/framemarket/registration/register.php - Is this upgrade safe or is there a better way to do this?

Perhaps it's worth looking at building some of this functionality in as I am sure quite a few people would like it to work like this?

Thanks

Adam

• aseabridge

Graham,

I am not at my pc right now (mobile) so will have to double check later but I believe it was:

Default blog role: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/new-blog-default-user-role/

Create custom role: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

These two in conjunction allow you to create a custom role of 'shopkeeper' for shop owners (with less perms) and assign them this role automatically when they create a store during registration.

I would be interested to see if this functionality will make it into the Marketpress core.

Hope this helps

Adam

• Mason

Hiya guys,

Adam,

The two plugins you found are great! I'd also mention an alternative would be to limit the menus that a regular admin can see using this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/menus/

Although perhaps that's one you mentioned? Then, your site admins will have limited menus by default and you don't have to modify any user roles.

As for adding this into core MarketPress that's not something I can see us doing. The issue is that no two sites are going to want to provide the exact same areas - and the plugins you've mentioned here allow you to tailor the site to your exact needs.

Lastly I modified the join page to change the text of "create new blog" to "create new store". This is pretty much working how I want it to now. I modified the file here: /wordpress/wp-content/themes/framemarket/registration/register.php

Modifying the page in this way will be reverted when you upgrade the theme. The reason for this wording is because the theme uses the default BuddyPress theme for it's registration process and BuddyPress has not yet updated its terminology.

We've discussed alternate ways of changing text like this on the front end of BuddyPress before. I can't find the thread straight off, but you'll basically want to use the theme's translation file to edit the text the way ya like.
    Framemarket has translation files ready to go so you could do this easily by changing the appropriate texts found in framemarket/library/languages/

Hope this helps!

• aseabridge

Hi,

Yeah I used a different plugin actually called "adminize" but I am not sure it is working that well So I am gonna give menus a go instead. thanks for that.

I have managed to change the text for the theme using the resource files so thats great.

In terms of customising files like marketpress.php for example thought or the layout of page on say the registration page how would you recommend I make these changes in an upgrade friendly fashion, is there an advised approach for this?

Thanks

Adam

• Mason

Hiya Adam,

If you're using the GridMarket theme, I'd recommend creating a copy of it and renaming the folder and theme name in style.css. Then you can edit the page templates to your needs as you would any other WordPress theme.

If you're unfamiliar with the idea of child themes, we have a video by one of our designers:
    http://buddydress.com/2010/05/parent-and-child-themes-explored/

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.