Making a categorized directory of blogs

I just activated this plugin network wide but nothing seems to be happening. The installation and usage file is not available on this site. Does this require setting up or is it one of those plugins that just imposes itself on the home page and isn’t showing because of theme structure?

What I want to do on this site artsnet.co is to have a page listing all the blogs of the artist members preferably listed in broad categories (visual artist, musician, writer etc). Obviously these categories can be included as required fields in an extended profile. But it must not appear on the front page of the site but on a dedicated page.

I had dealt with this problem once before by using a theme that employed the mega-menu functions, I have uber-menu but this is problematic with the theme that I am currently exploring. With either of these I could deal with this functionality in the menus. Without this I would need a page that can adapt as the membership grows.

• guileshill
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Yes, thanks Phil, I did see that. But all it seems to do is copy the link that would apply to any link that called the buddypress blogs page. Which is what it gave me. It doesn’t do anything like what I am describing. I also tried the heavyweight Directory plugin, but quite apart from the complexity of setting that up, I found that it immediately broke the dropdown functionality of the menus, so had to take this off for now.

Perhaps I would do better with a simple custom post type although this would likely require a fair bit of coding to call the profile information on the server side, or would have to be manually edited. The other alternative would be to take several very deep breaths and try to resolve integration of uber menu.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

But all it seems to do is copy the link that would apply to any link that called the buddypress blogs page. Which is what it gave me.

Are you using BuddyPress? This plugin isn’t compatible with BuddyPress so you’re probably just seeing the BuddyPress page…

Phil

• guileshill

Ouch! I didn’t notice that, I expect it says somewhere but I must have missed it. And you are right, that is exactly what is happening.

I’m trying to crack a hybrid sort of issue. The site needs to offer an open social network to help the artists to build relationships with a wide audience and a membership approach to site creation which is seen as narrower in focus. In principle I don’t see a problem with this. But because the aim is to provide tools to artists to help them develop their practice, professional development and so on, it will need an architecture that respects their different disciplines while fostering collaboration.

So for visitors it is important that they be able to go see the sites, for example, of all the sculptors who do public space commissions, or all the writers who work on screenplays etc. Most of this could be managed through the profiles, but presenting that information on the parent site is the problem.

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

What I want to do (…:wink: is to have a page listing all the blogs of the artist members preferably listed in broad categories (visual artist, musician, writer etc). Obviously these categories can be included as required fields in an extended profile.

I think you should better have a look at the blogs directory plugin (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blogs-directory) instead of the members directory plugin.

A solution might be to build the structure of this plugin (Blogs directory) on the Blog Types (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blog-types) categories. Artists would select their category on sign up (Blog types plugin) and the blogs directory would show their blog in the same category.

I made this request a few months ago but it has not been considered yet. See here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/blogs-directory-structure-based-on-blog-types-categories

• guileshill

Laurent, I take it from your comment above, and implementing it here, that the Blog Directory does not yet have the ability to recognise blogs by blog type.

At present it seems to suffer the same issue as the members plugin and only creates a page with the same slug that buddypress uses for its blogs display and is overriden by that. This pretty much renders the blog types plugin otiose, it would appear.

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Andrey (the new developer of these extensions) has been notified about the other thread. Maybe you could add your issue there.

I really hope this Blogs Directory plugin will be updated as it really needs to.

Sorry for my limited English.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.