Making a Child Theme

Hi,

I am not a developer, but I am hoping to make some changes to my website without having to a hire another developer. I had someone build a custom theme, and now it’s really hard to change things about my website (for instance, I have been completely unable to change the picture that is on the homepage; also, for instance, woocommerce does not work well with the theme). I have been doing a bunch of research, even trying to learn PHP, so I can fix the problems with my website. That’s how I found your site.

Anyway, the question.

I am trying to make a child theme so I can make changes–because right now I don’t see any way to add template files to the current theme. I think the child theme will allow me to add new template files.

I am following the instructions on your page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/?ench=b&utm_expid=3606929-78.ZpdulKKETQ6NTaUGxBaTgQ.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fpremium.wpmudev.org%2Fblog%2Fcreating-custom-page-templates-in-wordpress%2F%3Fench%3Db

But I am stuck on one of the first instructions: “go to your theme directory and create a folder for your new theme. You may name it anything you’d like. For clarity’s sake, I will name my theme twentyfourteen-child.”

I see no place to create this folder. Can you help me figure it out please.

I am using wordpress version 4.6.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Jones

Hope you’re well?

There should be a place.

You have to use FTP, or your servers CPanel.

Then navigate to /wp-content/themes

You should then be able to create a folder. You can of course create the folder on your desktop and add the style.css. Then simply copy the folder from your desktop using FTP to the /wp-content/themes folder on your site server.

But if your current theme isn’t compatible with woocommerce, it would be difficult to get the child theme compatible, unless it’s just styling issues etc.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.