making a useful admin bar

I have seen very few (read: NO) websites that really incorporate the admin bar in a useful way for users. I don't want to call out any websites here, thats not what this is about. It just seems for the average user and website, the admin bar is a waste of space and provides no real useful purpose to the site user/visitor. (Other than changing the backend profile theme maybe lol)

I had a look around here (and the web generally) and although there are hacks to make the admin bar appear when it doesn't, not appear when you don't want it to, or adding explicit menu options, ordering, renaming etc, I haven't found any useful way to incorporate it into a generic WordPress website.

For example, what I see the admin bar being really useful is to incorporate generic website properties/menus into it. Such as, the site's about page, contact info, whatever.

I suppose what I mean would be to include one of the websites "menu bars" within the admin bar, whereby turning the admin bar into something more useful both for logged in users and random visitors. (well, a visitor would not see admin or logged in user stuff, but hopefully you get the picture)

Are there any good tutorials out there for such a feature?

This could be extended to useful footers as well, but that would be another subject :slight_smile:

• Nithin

Hi madivad,

The admin menu bar are only meant to show any relevant links, or menu related to any activities related to admin workflow, So, if you log in as a subscriber, there isn't much task to perform other that viewing the profile, or some basic changes. As the roles, and permission increases the actions what perform in admin bar changes.

Have you tried the Ultimate Branding Plugin plugin, if not, could you please check whether it would fit to your needs. The plugin offers you to add custom admin menus, and more. You can even assign these menus according to the user roles, hence making it visible to logged in users.

Once you enable the plugin, Under Branding menu, please enable the Custom Admin Bar Module, once the module is enabled, under Branding > Admin Bar, you can customize it with CSS, or you can click the Add New Parent Menu button to create a new menu with the your appropriate/custom link in order to extend your admin bar, or assign on which user role these should appear.

You can check the Plugins usage guide on how to configure these: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/#product-usage

I'm not sure the exact your exact needs for the footer, the plugin offers Dashboard Footer Content, and Global Footer Content modules, if you are looking to make changes to your footer.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• madivad

TBH, I'd forgotten about Ultimate Branding! I have tried it before, but that was a long time ago and my scenario and setup has changed a lot since then. I will revisit it as I think it will be a good start.

But you raised it yourself:

So, if you log in as a subscriber, there isn't much task to perform other that viewing the profile, or some basic changes. As the roles, and permission increases the actions what perform in admin bar changes.

and that's exactly what I mean.

It seems pointless to even have an admin menu bar for subscribers as it really does provide little value to the site (yes, I know it can be removed).

What got me thinking about this recently is a site I had joined was obviously WP based and gave me an admin bar that allowed the usual user preferences page (really, not useful at all other than for a minor "connection" feature they integrated into the page). But then right below the admin bar was a whole subset of user orientated functionality that seemed added on at a programatic level. The programming is already there within WP, it would be better served incorporated within it (IMHO :smiley:)

I like a KISS approach.

And you're right with the footer, I'd forgotten about global footers. (I'm getting old)

I'll have another look at UB, thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.