Making BuddyPress NOT Network Activated...

Ok, I read somewhere that Buddypress is meant to only be network activated on multisite... that there is no way to activate Buddypress on a per-site basis. Is this true? I'd like to make Buddypress an optional-use plugin. More specifically, I'd like it to be a premium plugin, only available to paying members. Is this possible to do using the membership plugin? Or does it have to be network activated, so that every subsite will HAVE TO BE a BuddyPress site (whether they want it or not), which not only takes away the possibility of it being an extra premium-type feature... it also eliminates what themes I can make available to the user.

Also, perhaps using the membership plugin, can I control whether, once paid for (as a premium) and activated, the BuddyPress site is connected to my main BuddyPress site and all other BuddyPress subsites on my network or make it its own independent BuddyPress site? To clarify, can I choose whether a BuddyPress user on one of my subsites be automatically registered and/or logged in with all other BuddyPress sites on the network (single sign-on) or if I choose to, allow the subsite user to create his own completely independent BuddyPress user lists?