Making consistent changes to text tags creates erroneous tags

Hello there,

We've been playing around quite a bit with the Spirit theme and have a small team in our company working on customizations. An issue that we came up when one of my designers was editing the site occurred when he was switching tags in the editor view. He was highlighting the text and selecting h1, h2, h3 tags and was switching back and forth to them.

After a few changes to the tags, we noticed that the text was no longer holding the visual settings that we had set in the settings, so I inspected the page and found that there were many empty html tags that were being created. Is this an issue that you are aware of? And if so....how would we go about clearing the dirty code that was created without dragging in another text element?

See screenshot attached.

Vinod Dalvi

Hi @dub3325,

I hope you are well today and thanks for posting on the forum.

Yet we have not faced any such issues.

one of my designers was editing the site occurred when he was switching tags in the editor view. He was highlighting the text and selecting h1, h2, h3 tags and was switching back and forth to them.

Could you reproduce the issue as described above or did it happen only one time?

Please share me the page URL from your site and point me to the exact location where this is happening so that i can troubleshoot it.

Also would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

dub3325

Hey there Vinod,

Sorry I didn't receive a notification from your reply, but just went ahead and granted you guys admin access.

Note:
    We did tweak the upfront and child theme CSS files, so please do not update anything as it will overwrite our changes. We didn't edit anything other than the CSS though, so it shouldnt really be affected.

Please let me know your findings as we are itching to get the perfect template created so we can launch.

I would prefer not to have my URL listed publicly here, and cannot find a private message option, so the site that I just replicated the issue on is:

Dank Fitness (dankfitness.domain.com)
    User Admin: Mikeo (he is the designer that initially pointed out the issue)

Replication Instructions:
    1) Open up the upfront editor
    2) Drag in text element, and added some text
    3) Highlighted the text and changed to h1 tag, as well as making the color: black
    4) Hit save (no issues up to this point)
    5) Double click on the text element that was just created, highlight the text and changed to h3
    6) Hit save
    7) Opened up another browser window and inspected the element and found that the previous h1 tag had not been removed from the code.
    8) Continuing on to see if the issue persisted....I tried changing the tag to h2, saved and inspected the page again. Found that there was an blank h1 tag, blank h3 tag, and the correct h2 tag in the code.

See this screenshot for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqwdjrfw59os2ub/Screenshot%202015-07-22%2015.37.04.jpg?dl=0