Making Content Visible to Search Engines While using theMembership Plugin

Is there a way to make the membership plugin not hide the content from the search engines like "Pay with a Like" does?

I know that this may allow some to see the content without paying but i'm comfortable with that...

• MScott821
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Right - isn't a contradiction to have it visible to search engines but humans cant see it?

The point of search engine placement is for humans to find things. If I was to see a page in a search engine result but when I clicked it to read more, I was told it was for members only, not so sure that would endear me to your site or incentivize me to sign up...

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

You could protect the content through shortcode and allow an excerpt to be indexed.

Protecting the whole page will mean that Google won't see it. Using a shortcode should be a way around that.

Or... Because I hate using loads of shortcodes all the time, you could use the WordPress More tag for this.

Admin --> Membership --> Options --> Content Protection [TAB]

Screenshot attached.

<!--more-->

These methods will allow you to expose some of the content to get indexed in Google.

Take care.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

• steven_roddy_ii
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You are welcome. Thank you for all of the support. Maybe my question could be stated in another way. I want my hidden content to still by crawled by Google spiders so that they are discoverable via search.

However, when the person who is doing the searching clicks on the article he or she cannot access the article until they pay for it.

If you google, "good pageant platform ideas" thepageantplanet.com should come up 3rd or 4th. Please click it. I would like all of the hidden articles to be like that.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I want my hidden content to still by crawled by Google spiders so that they are discoverable via search.

That's not possible with our plugin.

If it was readable by Google then it would be easy for anyone to just get that content without ever having paid you.

The best way is really just exposing an excerpt or part of the article content.

I suspect this is what they do, see:

http://www.thepageantplanet.com/

All articles have an excerpt and that will be indexed in Google.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.