Making sure services are connected to service providers?

Hi there, I have appointments+ installed and I have 4 services providers which are setup as conference rooms because that is what my site is for booking conference rooms. However the user can choose the time period of the conference room booking so therefore I have setup services of 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour and so on. What I noticed is that a user will select their conference room or service provider and then choose a time slot of 3 hours which is their service and then the conference room has a "no preference" on it and the user goes ahead and books and they do not have a service provider!!! So my question is how do I make sure services are tied to at least 1 service provider? Or does the services option need to go first on my page before the services option and therefore it will work? I hope I have explained this right. If you need to understand more go to my site Hi there, I have appointments+ installed and I have 4 services providers which are setup as conference rooms because that is what my site is for booking conference rooms. However the user can choose the time period of the conference room booking so therefore I have setup services of 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour and so on. What I noticed is that a user will select their conference room or service provider and then choose a time slot of 3 hours which is their service and then the conference room has a "no preference" on it and the user goes ahead and books and they do not have a service provider!!! So my question is how do I make sure services are tied to at least 1 service provider? Or does the services option need to go first on my page before the services option and therefore it will work? I hope I have explained this right. If you need to understand more go to http://www.jamjosandbox.com/rubiconcentre/room-booking/ and choose the first option and then change the second option time to say 3 hours and watch the first option reset itself which is a disaster for me and something I do not want to happen!!! Hope to hear back soon. Thanks James and choose the first option and then change the second option time to say 3 hours and watch the first option reset itself which is a disaster for me and something I do not want to happen!!! Hope to hear back soon. Thanks James

• Patrick

Hi @allmyhoneyallmyhoney

Welcome to the forums!

Yah, that is odd.

When both service and service provider shortcodes include the autorefresh parameter, service provider resets to "No preference" when services autorefresh.

I'll flag the developer on this inconsistency.

In the meantime, here's a setup that works on my test install here: http://patrickcohen.net/make-an-appointment/

First select a service which, in your case, would be the duration. That autorefreshes. Then select the service provider (the room in your case) and click "Show available times".

This is how it's set up on the appointments page:

<tr>
    <td>[app_services autorefresh="1"]</td>
    <td>[app_service_providers]</td>
    </tr>
  • pxwm

Hi,

I can confirm that the sequence to book an appointment is you have to select the service first and then the service provider.

There are a few options/settings you could use to ensure 'no preference' cannot be selected but it does depend on how many service providers are assigned to each service.

For instance if you have more than one service provider assigned to a service then you could select the A+ settings option and then:-

1. select the 'Working Hours' tab
    2. select 'no preference' from the dropdown list
    3. set 'Work' for each day to 'No'
    4. Also check to make sure each service provider has their working hours set correctly.

This will effectively 'block' out all time for 'no preference'.

If you then make an appointment by selecting a service with more than one service provider assigned the calendar will be displayed with the 'no preference' as the default but now all the dates and times will be 'blocked' out as showing 'not possible'
    You would then select a service provider from the dropdown

Another option is if only one service provider is assigned to a service if you do the same as above and:-

1. set the working hours to 'No' for 'no preference'
    2. Also check to make sure the single service provider has their working hours set correctly.

If you then make an appointment by selecting the service with only one service provider assigned then that service provider will automatically show in the dropdown as the only valid selectable option

Hope this helps
    Regards
    SteveB

• allmyhoney

Thanks for the feedback here all. I do indeed have 4 service providers and they all share the time durations in hourly slots as you can see here: http://www.jamjosandbox.com/rubiconcentre/room-booking/ therefore I have gone with the option one as you have described pxwm

In my case I know I now have to put the time services first and the service provider second on my page which is not ideal and a little confusing but I guess it works. It would be ideal to somehow connect the 2 features a little more seamlessly as it can be a little confusing for the end user here because if they change one of the options services or service providers they tend to not investigate as much as say a tech savvy user!!

• pxwm

Hi,

Pleased you have found a solution.

I suggested the solution because hopefully this will be less confusing for the end user as at least when the end user selects a new service then the service provider is reset to 'no preference' and will show 'not possible' which means you could add a note/instruction to inform then they have to select a specific service provider.

Unfortunately you cannot do the same with the service selection

However you could consider the following:-

Create a booking page with all the possible combinations and then have a button next you each option with a brief explanation.
    Then when the end user clicks on the relevant button this will pre-populated the service and service provider and navigate the end user to the appointment page and would show the calendar for them to choose a date/time.

You could also 'hide' the service and service provider dropdowns in the style sheet so they cannot select an alternative service or service provider from the appointment page. You would then add a link like 'select alternative service and service provider' back to the booking page.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    SteveB

• mikedino

I have used the above code correctly and it works so that the Service is selected first and then the user can seclect the Service Provider:

<tr>
    <td>[app_service_providers]</td>
    </tr>

However, I want to autorefresh the calendar when the user has chosen the Service Provider. Adding autorefresh to the service_providers (as below) doesn't work. I'd like for the user to NOT have to click "Show available times" as it's unintuitive since the calendar is already on-screen. Any ideas?

`<tr>
    <td>[app_service_providers autorefresh="1"]</td>
    </tr>

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.