manage users in multisite like edublogs or wp.com

Hi
I have a great missunderstood about users in multisite.
If i join edublogs or wp.com and i create a blog there i dont have access to other blogs created in those sites, isn't it?

However i was testing all the morning with that in my multisite instalation, and when i register in one subsite, it redirects me to the main site(networksite) so if i register i belongs to the network and with this credentials i have access to other subsites.

I dont want that?

An example with citys in USA.
Imaging i create a site oferring massage in different cities site.com/newyork and site.com/texas and a client from texas enter in site.com/texas in order to be registered, then is redirected site.com/sign-up.php and in his inbox arrive a username and a password, and i have realised that with these username and password is able to access to site.com/newyork.

How to avoid that?
Please help, i am becoming crazy with that.

• calvinrogercanas

If i join edublogs or wp.com and i create a blog there i dont have access to other blogs created in those sites, isn't it?

Yes, unless you register to that site or manually add by the site admin. :slight_smile:

However i was testing all the morning with that in my multisite instalation, and when i register in one subsite, it redirects me to the main site(networksite) so if i register i belongs to the network and with this credentials i have access to other subsites.

Yes, you will be registered automatically at the network as subscriber I think :slight_smile: Yes, I think the site admin can add you as an existing user. :slight_smile:

Imaging i create a site oferring massage in different cities site.com/newyork and site.com/texas and a client from texas enter in site.com/texas in order to be registered, then is redirected site.com/sign-up.php and in his inbox arrive a username and a password, and i have realised that with these username and password is able to access to site.com/newyork.

I don't think you are registered automatically to other subsite. You need to be add by site administrator manually. I tried this on my own install. "test1" is a user for my subsite "123". While logged in as "test1" I try to access back-end of "uk" subsite but I got this: http://prntscr.com/67jcki

Let me know if it helps! :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Calvin

• wordev

No calvin i did a bunch of times. And this is not as you are saying.
    I have created ( as a network admin) two sites mysite.com/city1 ( email1)and mysite.com/city2(email2) and i went to city1 front end without been registered, so i clicked in a link to register( with another email, email3) and instead of been registered in mysite.com/city1/sign-up.php, i've been redirected to mysite.com/sign-up.php.
    What did it mean, that i could have access to both city1 and city2 with email3.

I am very sure about that calvin. So please give me help with that.

Thanks

• Ash

Hello @wordev

I hope you are well today.

In fact, this is WordPress default behavior. To prevent that completely, you will need a fair amount of custom code.

For now, you can enable subsite registration, here is a plugin that you can use: https://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/

You will need to use the shortcode in a page, and link the register button to that page. In this way, when someone will register he will be user of that subsite only.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.