Managed backup not working.

Managed backup is not working on any of my sites. It would take a long while with an error at the end.

https://monosnap.com/file/m4Lfq0Vp33OC1VvT3Y4EMexUemXSKv

Please check and help.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bart

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site and did some changes in Snapshot configuration.

When checking your site WP install, I noticed that there’s quite a lot of other WP installs (and other files not related to this site’s WP) in sub-directories of a public_html directory where your site is located. Managed Backup would literally backup all that’s within the WP installation folder and any sub-folders so it would try, in this case, to backup all of that – it’s not mean to do this though and each site should have its own backup defined.

Therefore, I’ve added exclusions to the Snapshot configuration (see “Snapshot -> Settings” -> “Global Exclusions” section). I’ve then also tweaked a bit the Snapshot configuration “define” lines that were added to the “wp-config.php” file.

After that, it seemed that the Managed Backup was running fine, although it’s going quite slowly and I wouldn’t be able to keep the “manually run” backup page open for that long. Also, running backup in background might be less “resource intensive”.

Therefore, I temporarily changed Managed Backup schedule on the site to daily (at 1am) to see if it works. Let’s please keep it that way and wait a day and see if it now works.

Could you please check the site again after nearest 1am + at least 6-7 hours (but a bit more would be even better) and let me know if the backup was now completed?

Best regards,

Adam

• Bart
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Adam,

I am looking to make permanent changes to make our experience a positive one, moving forward. Are you saying that the way WP has been install site per site is wrong or not most sufficient?

We are planning to add more sites to our server. I need to know if this is the best way to do it, if not what is the best way also how do I fix the existing “none sufficient way”

I would like to switch to WPMU DEV hosting but I am not sure how to handle our emails.

Ps. Are you polish?

Bart

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Bart

I am looking to make permanent changes to make our experience a positive one, moving forward. Are you saying that the way WP has been install site per site is wrong or not most sufficient?

The way it’s all set up now is that there’s a “public_html” folder (for the savage… domain) and in that folder is a WordPress install. That’s fine. However, there are also multiple folders inside it, containing other installs.

This is a common setup but not recommended: it can affect backups (not only snapshot but other backup tools as well – by “including” multiple WP installs in one backup), drastically decreases security level and adds unnecessary complexity to the folder/file structure on server – to name just a few “complications”.

Your current “installation structure” would be like this:

/public_html/ <- this is one site

/public_html/something <- this is another site

/public_html/else <- this is yet another site

and so on, while the recommended and safer structure would be similar to this

/domain/public_html <- one site

/otherdomain/public_html <- another site

/anotherdomain/;piublic_html < yet another domain

That’s assuming the sites are under different domains or at least sub-domains of the domain. if they are under the same domain but in sub-folders, you’ll most likely not be able to avoid the structure that is currently used but it might be worth considering switching to a WordPress Multisite instead.

I would like to switch to WPMU DEV hosting but I am not sure how to handle our emails.

We’re only allowing basic transactional e-mails that are necessary for WordPress to work properly and there are certain limitations. However, using SMTP (e.g. via our Branda plugin) you can use any e-mail provider to handle your mails. Another way is to host mail at some dedicated mail provider. Take a look here, please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/emails/

As for the Managed Backups issues. I checked the site again and I see that there’s still no backup created. There’s a trace of the schedule being triggered as it should be but then the process failed anyway, even despite all the exclusions and changes that I made there.

In this case I’ll need our Snapshot developers to take closer look at the case so I’ve already passed all the information to them along with access credentials and ask them to check the site and server. Hopefully, they’ll be able to find the culprit so please keep an eye on this ticket and we’ll update you here as soon as we know more form them

Ps. Are you polish?

Yes, I am :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hi Bart,

Apologies for the delay, I followed the guide below:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/snapshot-pro-managed-backup-not-completing#post-1410808

I installed the MU plugin as a new plugin, also added these rules in the wp-config.php file:

// Snapshot
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 1000);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY', 'ziparchive');
    //MU Snapshot
    define('SNAPSHOT_ENABLE_SYNC_ACTIVE_THEME', true);//enable option to sync active theme
    define('SNAPSHOT_MANUAL_SYNC_UPLOAD_BEFORE', date('Y') - 1 );//ex, now is 2019, we will auto sync all year's uploads folder before 2018 (2017, 2016,..), monthly update

And also follow the guide to manual sync/reject the plugins and themes. After that, the backup file was created successfully.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Tho Bui

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.