Managed Backup working partially

Managed backups get created successfully, but when the zip file is downloaded and checked. The plugins and themes don't get included in the zip folder. Seems like it only worked partially, and backup gets completed without any error message.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Harshay,

Can you please check credentials to FTP you provided us, because we are not able to connect with them. We are getting

Error:    Authentication failed.
    Error:    Critical error: Could not connect to serve

Could you please send then again after checking via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Please confirm here that you send those credentials

It says one response to this issue. But when I check, it showed none.

Where exactly it showed that info?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Harshay,

Thank you for the cerendtials - they worked and I was able to check your system.

I will need confirmation form developer but it seems that problem is with how pressable is installing WordPress - they have customized structure where WordPress is not in the same place as wp-content directory and all the plugins and themes you installed.
    You can see it when you log to SFTP

When standard WordPress installation looks very different.

I need to check with developers if it will be possible to make Managed backups working on this specific configuration.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Harshay

I hope you are doing great today. Thank you for reporting this and for your patience while we were looking into this issue.

I have looked into the issue and found out that the host has customized the way WordPress is installed on their system. They have installed WordPress core in a private (not accessible) folder and only included wp-content in a folder accessible via FTP. They then use Symbolic links (shortcuts) to link the WordPress core with the content, plugins and theme.

Unfortunately, the way the system is configured it seems Snapshot is able to backup the plugins that are stored as symbolic links (shortcuts) in the plugins folder, any plugin that is not a symbolic link is not backed up. So this means Snapshot can backup files that are not located in the wp-content folder but somewhere in the private install folder setup by the host.

So the final result of this is that Snapshot seems to backup only the plugins that are pre-installed with WordPress, I think your host can shed some lights on this issue as they know their system better. We can always fix fix our plugin if the host has shed some light as to how their system works. I do suggest you contact them about how their symbolic links work and once we hear from them we will cooperate in fixing the issue from our side as well.

Symbolic links have been found to be a problem before as sometime can end up in redirect loops when the plugin tries to follow them and they are interlinked. We have had issues with such before but the common problem was the "too many symbolic links" error which means that the redirect of the shortcuts does not end, it becomes like an infinite loop. Snapshot has a way to skip symbolic links for such an issue, but in this rare case of your setup it seems that skipping the symbolic links will not have any effect as they actually need to be followed in order to get to the files they link to. Unfortunately, we will need help from your host to figure out how to do this as their system seems to be very unique and will require their input for us to resolve this.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Have a nice day.
    Mahlamusa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.