Managed backups fails

Managed backups are not working, giving a "GATEWAY TIMEOUT" error.

• Luís

Hi Max ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I checked that your Managed Backups are ending in a "GATEWAY TIMEOUT" error. You have a small value for the "max_execution_time" PHP variable, I tried to increase it using a php.ini, but seems your host provider is not allowing it.

Before start digging, can you please contact your host provider to increase the "max_execution_time" a little bit? I think a value like "300" should be enough.

Cheers, Luís

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Max

I hope you are doing great today. Thank you for reporting this issue to us and I hope we resolve it soon.

I have checked your website and found that the max_execution_time variable was set to 120 as my colleague Luís has pointed out already. The reason for this is that your host did not define a value for the 'user_ini.filename' which means any attempt to set a php variable like the max_execution_time in a php.ini file will not work as the server will not load the file.

To overcome this, I have added the following line in your wp-config.php file to set the max_execution_time at run time (when PHP is executing):

@ini_set('max_execution_time', 500);

This increases the max execution time to 500 seconds, now PHP recognizes this new value and:

After this I added the following line in your wp-config.php file.

define('SNAPSHOT_ATTEMPT_SYSTEM_BACKUP', true);

This line tells Snapshot to use system commands instead of PHP functions to generate the Managed Backups. This is sometimes recommended for servers with special restrictions, like in this specific issue the max execution time is too low and can't be overridden by php.ini so but on the other hands, the system utilities are available to allow Snapshot's system backup mode.

After changing this, I was able to successfully run Managed Backups without the gateway timeout issue. Please see the screenshot below:

Please test this on your side and let us know if you are experiencing any further issues and we will always be happy to help in any way possible.

Have a nice day.
    Mahlamusa