Managed backups log errors

I'm getting several warning messages on the managed backup log file and I would like to know if the managed backup was properly created or if it could be damaged. This is the type of warning that I'm getting:

[snapshot][2018-11-27 13:55:21][Warning] Unable to perform requested system backup, proceeding with builtin

I already checked wp-config file and there is no line like this on it:

define('SNAPSHOT_ATTEMPT_SYSTEM_BACKUP', true);

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello F404,

Snapshot with Managed Backups will first attempt to run the backup process using system calls (Linux commands). This can make the whole backup process much faster! Above message says that this failed, most probably because hosting provider has deactivated the capability of running Linux commands, and the "normal" functionality will be used instead, via PHP commands (which makes it slower comparing to ).

When it was first introduced to Snapshot it was optional, hence we would use define to use it. But then it was changed that it always try first system backup and then it will switch to a standard method of backups.

That warning doesn't indicate anything about if Managed Backup is corrupted.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello F404,

1. To specify, Backups is not corrupted and if i restore it will work?

That above warning doesn't say that backup is corrupted or not. It is information that the system method can't be used and another method will be used to create a backup file.
    You would need to download backup a test it to check it, because this warning doesn't contain this information.

2. If you tell me exactly what i must enable on server i will do it. (please give more info)

You will need to have those enabled on your server: exec, escapeshellarg, escapeshellcmd, zip, ln, rm and mysqldump.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• F404

Hello
    1. I think your answer is wrong

"When it was first introduced to Snapshot it was optional, hence we would use define to use it. But then it was changed that it always try first system backup and then it will switch to a standard method of backups."

It is not working both system backup and standard method.
    I delete my backups from dashboard when i check my disk usage public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_backup/55465f5f << in this folder i have 36GB files , what is this , why it is still here. I think this is backups which doesn't fully complete.
    Now what can i do delete this folder 55465f5f ?

2. When i have Enable scheduled backups, which must save backup only in wpmudev cloud , but after scheduled backups it saves in cloud and also in Local

3. If i add DESTINATIONS AWS S3 i can make scheduled backups on this destination or only snapshots ?

• Patrick Freitas

Hi F404

Hope you are doing well

1. I think your answer is wrong

My teammate explained that the plugin tries first system backup and then it will switch to a standard method of backups, if the backup isn't working we would need to investigate the problem, it can be large files / IO usage on server etc.

I delete my backups from dashboard when i check my disk usage public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_backup/55465f5f << in this folder i have 36GB files , what is this , why it is still here. I think this is backups which doesn't fully complete.
    Now what can i do delete this folder 55465f5f ?

Seems some Snapshot configuration isn't working fine or the website is really big, 36GB is too high, this probably contains too many backup files.

2. When i have Enable scheduled backups, which must save backup only in wpmudev cloud , but after scheduled backups it saves in cloud and also in Local

The Snapshot > Managed Backup will upload the backup on our cloud, however, it will leave a copy on the server in case the backup upload/download goes wrong, on the schedule settings you can define how many copies you would like to leave on server, where zero means no limitation, and the minimum value is 1

3. If i add DESTINATIONS AWS S3 i can make scheduled backups on this destination or only snapshots ?

You can use different destinations for Snapshot > Snapshot, you will be able to upload this on the destination, also schedule backups, however, if your WordPress is a Multisite, you will need to configure multiples Snapshots > Snapshots, the full Multisite Backup is created on Snapshot > Managed Backup, and this option only uploads on our server.

Wouldn't you mind, please, download your Snapshot folders on the computer /uploads/snapshots/, once it has done, you can remove the content inside this /snapshot/ folder, and live it blank, the needed folder will be recreated by the plugin.

paste the following lines on your wp-config.php file

/* Snapshot Settings */
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE', 104857600); // skip files over 100mb
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_USE_PRECACHE', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY', 'pclzip'); // try pclzip or ziparchive
    define('SNAPSHOT_MB_BREADTH_FIRST', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_IGNORE_SYMLINKS', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_ATTEMPT_SYSTEM_BACKUP', true);
    /* End of Snapshot Settings */

Just above of /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Go to your WordPress > Snapshot > Managed Backup, you can edit your scheduled settings for making sure you have the Storage Limit set to 1, as I said 0 means no limitation.

After that, run a new Managed Backup and check if the plugin could complete the Backup :slight_smile:

Let us know if you need any further help on this.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

• F404

Hello
    1. Snapshot > Managed Backup option ONLY uploads backup on wpmudev server, OR it will leave a copy of backup on MY server?
    2. Can i clear all files and folders inside public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots ? (if do not need old backups)
    3. what will do line codes which you provide for wp-config.php ?
    4. WordPress > Snapshot > Managed Backup i have Storage Limit set 2 but it not works and it save damaged backup files 36GB

• Patrick Freitas

Hi F404

How are you today?

1. Snapshot > Managed Backup option ONLY uploads backup on wpmudev server, OR it will leave a copy of backup on MY server?

It will leave how many copies you set for, as I said, the minimum value is 1 where 0 means no limitation, all backups will be left a copy on the server.

2. Can i clear all files and folders inside public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots ? (if do not need old backups)

If you don't need the old backups, feel free to clean them :slight_smile:

3. what will do line codes which you provide for wp-config.php ?

Those are Managed Backups directive, makes the plugin work better on shared servers, for example, making the plugin deal with less file at once and not get stuck.

4. WordPress > Snapshot > Managed Backup i have Storage Limit set 2 but it not works and it save damaged backup files 36GB

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue, wouldn't you mind, please, run the steps that I sent on my first reply, if this happens again, forward us the cPanel / FTP credentials?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.

Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question:

Subject: "Attn: Patrick Freitas"

- FTP/SFTP credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:
    Port:

- cPanel credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:

- Folder path to the site in question:

- Link back to this thread for reference

- Any other relevant URLs/info:

Please, reply to the ticket once you have sent the information.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.