Managed snapshot returning error

Hi
I've run the managed snapshot a couple of times and keep getting an error in the log file:
[snapshot][2017-02-08 14:09:13][Warning] There was an error processing the files

This happens when I do a manual back-up unless I dont back-up the some themes (child themes ok) and also the plugin folder. Everything else works fine. What I'm trying to work out is which snapshot the Managed back-up process uses so I can feel confident they are usable in case I need to restore from them.

many thanks

• Denitsa

Hello jon,
    I hope you're having a great day and thanks for reaching us!

Could you please check that you have enough space on your disk to store the backup archive? You can check this in cPanel or contact your hosting support to get further assistance. The reason I'm asking this is that the backup is first made locally and then moved to our secure servers.

Can you also please grant support access from the dashboard plugin so we can take a closer look?
    This could be done via Dashboard - WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Access or by following this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Let me know how it goes!

Warm regards,
    Denitsa

• jon

Hi
    thanks for your reply. I've granted access. There is plenty of space on my server, but I'm trying to save back-ups onto the wpmu 10GB server space I have allocated. As mentioned, If I exclude certain theme folders and the plugins folder snapshots saved to my own server work. However when I use the 'managed back-up' feature where snapshots are saved to the WPMU server there are errors (I'm guessing the same error I have if I don't deselect the themes and plugins ). It appears to me I cant specify the snapshot parameters for the managed snapshots (?) and therefore it returns an error, although as snapshot does appear in the list of snapshots on the wpmu server as seen through wpmu hub.

Hope thats clear enough!

Jon

• Denitsa

Hey there jon,
    I hope you're having a fantastic day!

The managed backups feature is designed to save your entire Wp install to the cloud, so you're not able to choose what to include in the snapshot.

Could you try changing chunk size to reduce server load and see if that makes any difference.
    You can do that by placing this piece of code inside your wp-config.php file just above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line:

define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 50);

Before adding this code make sure there's no backup running on your site, manual or automatic.

Let us know if that makes any difference.

All the best,
    Denitsa

• jon

Hi again
    after an hour of processing I still got an error:
    [snapshot][2017-02-20 11:08:01][Warning] There was an error processing the files

I'm guessing the speed of the process is down to the code you gave me? The resulting zipped file is approximately the same mb size as the other managed back-ups, so I recon the error is being caused by the backing up of my plugins folder and the theme folder. It would be really helpful if the managed back-ups allowed for a choice of snapshot templates that are known to work.
    If you have any other suggestions that would be great

many thanks

Jon

• Nithin

Hi jon,

I'm guessing the speed of the process is down to the code you gave me? The resulting zipped file is approximately the same mb size as the other managed back-ups, so I recon the error is being caused by the backing up of my plugins folder and the theme folder

I'll have to check your website configuration to have a better idea about all points you have raised here, could you please enable support access, so that we could help get this solved asap.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• jon

Hi
    only just seen your response. I'll grant access now. Maybe while you are in the site you could help me with another issue I'm having with Snapshot (or should I open a new support ticket?)
    I'm sure I have setup a Dropbox destination correctly after searching the support forums, however when I do a test snapshot, it does not load to dropbox. I have a screenshot of my snapshots and there seems to be a date issue with the 'next file send' date which is fixed at: November 21, 2016 11:49 am I've looked around snapshot to see if I can change this and cannot find anything. Could you help with that?

Many thanks

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello jon,

I'm checking your site and there is something wrong, but for some reason no errors are showing in debug logs. Managed backups are doing only database backup without files.
    I tested that backup and there was 500 internal server error in browser console, but it did not show in managed backup log. That is strange.
    I would like to check two more things.

Please increase memory limits https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/ especially try to increase max_execution_time to 180.
    Your current limits can be found in WPMU DEV -> Support -> System Info.

Then enable debug log and again run both snapshot to Dropbox and managed backup. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to service like a Dropbox and paste link here.

kind regards
    Kasia