ManageWP and WPMU Dev updates

I've found that if you're not logged into the WPMU Dev dashboard on individual websites then updates will appear in the ManageWP dashboard but you can't update them from the ManageWP site. This occurs on any website.

I reproduced this by trying to update several WPMU plugins from the WPMU Dev dashboard to hummingbird but they wouldn't update. I logged into the WP admin website and found that I was not logged into the dashboard. Once I logged in I could update the plugin both from ManageWP and the WP dashboard.

The biggest problem is the dashboard just keeps logging me out on a periodic basis. Problem #2 is that even though I have the option checked to do updates automatically it also doesn't update if you aren't logged in. So I'm left with having to log into each one of my many sites to log into the dashboard just to update a plugin that should automatically update. If that were to fail it would be nice to be able to do it from the ManageWP dashboard. That's the point of the system, centrally manage all sites from one dashboard. WPMU Dev is costing me lots of time.

• Sajid

Hi TLDCO,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I've found that if you're not logged into the WPMU Dev dashboard on individual websites then updates will appear in the ManageWP dashboard but you can't update them from the ManageWP site. This occurs on any website.

I could not replicate this issue on my own network site. I logged out of WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, login to ManageWP, updated the BuddyPress plugin (that needed the update) and its get updated successfully.

I reproduced this by trying to update several WPMU plugins from the WPMU Dev dashboard to hummingbird but they wouldn't update. I logged into the WP admin website and found that I was not logged into the dashboard. Once I logged in I could update the plugin both from ManageWP and the WP dashboard.

You mean, you could not update the plugin from The Hub ? If yes, then you must have your website connected with our server while being logged into WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin after installing it from the page, when you first land on, with the title Let the games begin with login form.

Also, WPMU plugin's updates would not be visible in ManageWP. Since its only update the plugin hosted on WordPress.org (at least for me on my free ManageWP account without any paid add-ons).

The biggest problem is the dashboard just keeps logging me out on a periodic basis.

If you are referring to WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, then WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin does not log you out unless you do it yourself.

However, WordPress plugin does log a user out after 4 days or when browser close. If you check remember me then it ads 14 days before requesting for user to login again.

Problem #2 is that even though I have the option checked to do updates automatically it also doesn't update if you aren't logged in. So I'm left with having to log into each one of my many sites to log into the dashboard just to update a plugin that should automatically update.

Its to update the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin itself automatically. That still requires you to be logged in and connected with our server while logging in to WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin with WPMU DEV username and password.

Again, its up-to ManageWP whether they allow to update third party premium plugins or not.

Also, you can update the WPMU DEV Dashboard and all of our plugins from The Hub remotely without being logged into WordPress admin dashboard with your site admin credentials.

We have also recently introduced updated everything option to update each and everything on each of your connected site to save time.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• TLDCO

This is all relating to ManageWP (3rd Party) and the WPMU Dashboard installed within Wordpress. If the WPMU Dev Dashboard within wordpress is logged out then you can't update any WPMU Dev plugins from ManageWP or even from the plugins page within Wordpress. This isn't about ManageWP supporting 3rd party plugin updates, its the fact that if you aren't authenticated through the WPMU Dev Dashboard installed on Wordpress then Managewp and Wordpress apparently lack permission to perform the update.

If I log into the wordpress site, go to the WPMU Dev dashboard and login and then go back to ManageWP or the plugins page then I can update the plugins without any issues.

I can't just use the WPMU version of ManageWP which is The Hub because it doesn't meet all the requirements I have for managing client sites. I also can't afford the time to log into two systems to update plugins I should be able to do from one.

If you could have a license key or something similar to validate against rather than a session or pc based cookie then it would make it compatible with any other system that needed to update the plugins. If this doesn't get worked out I'll have to ditch my WPMU plugins in favor of ones that can be updated. It just costs me too much overall time and money when managing many websites.

• Nastia

Hello TLDCO

I hope you are doing well today!

I have contacted with our developers, but unfortunately the WPMU DEV Dashboard is required in order to update the plugins.

The biggest problem is the dashboard just keeps logging me out on a periodic basis

I think we can solve this issue. Please add the following to the wp-config.php:

define( 'WPMUDEV_APIKEY' , 'API KEY HERE');

This should prevent WordPress to logout from WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin. Replace API KEY HERE with your actual API key.

Find your API key here.

Let us know if this helped!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.