Managing an Addon site - can I unlock Membership2 in the addon site only?

Our main site has Membership Premium v 3.5.3.3:
http://main-site.com/wp-admin/network/plugins.php

I have installed (but not yet activated) Membership2 v 4.0.0.2 in an Addon site:
http://www.main-site.com/addon-site/wp-admin/plugins.php

Please can you confirm that if I activate or 'unlock' Membership2 in the Addon site, it will not also unlock it in the main site.

Thank you

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @PCI Team,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Can you please give me a bit more info about your setup here.
    Is the addon-site different WP installation or is it a subsite of main-site?
    If it's a different site you will need to install and maintain it separately, but if it's a subsite then when you update the plugin via network admin panel it will get updated across the entire network as it's the same installation.

Also, I can see that the version number is showing 4.0.0.2 which indicates that this is the free verison from wp.org and not the premium version, you can remove the free version and use dashboard to install the premium one.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• PCI Team

Hello Predrag

Thanks for your help. Our host allows multiple domains on the one account, so we have recently added a new domain. So, main-site.com is the Primary domain and addon-site is the Addon domain. Because the second site looks completely different from the first and uses a different Theme and Plugins, it needed to point to a different subdirectory on our account.

Main-site.com Plugins are here:
    public_html/wp-content/plugins/

Addon-site.com Plugins are here:
    public_html/addon-site/wp-content/plugins/

I want to activate Membership2 on addon-site but definitely do not want it to activate on main-site. The new Plugin says "the protection rules cannot be migrated. So you have to manually set up all protection rules again after the update". It took us 2 years to get our protection right on main-site, all based on negative rules. Very complicated and I don't want to manually do it again.

Regarding the free vs premium version, I would love addon-site to be covered by our WPMU DEV membership. How could we do that?

Many thanks

Frances

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Frances,

I hope you're well today!

Main-site.com Plugins are here:
    public_html/wp-content/plugins/

Addon-site.com Plugins are here:
    public_html/addon-site/wp-content/plugins/

Unfortunately, this still doesn't answer a fundamental question here: is it a WordPress Multisite (one install with a subsite, all manageable via a common dashboard, a network) or two separate WordPress single installs.

If these are separate installs, there's nothing to worry about as plugins of one site won't interact with plugins of another site.

It's a bit different with a Multisite install. The standard way to implement Membership 2 would be to install it from your "Network admin" and then "network activate". This wouldn't however create any network-wide membership rules instead all the rules would have to be created on a "per site" basis. However, in a Multisite environment you most likely won't be even able to properly install both these plugins at the same time as they share the same folder name inside the /wp-content/plugins directory.

So, to sum it all up: if you're using a Multisite network, you'll want to decide whether to select Membership or Membership 2 Pro. If these are two separate sites (you've installed two separate WordPress instances with two separate databases) you may use one plugin on one site and another plugin on another site.

As for support coverage: if your membership allows you to register another domain with your account on our site, then just do it and it will be covered. If it doesn't, you may need to upgrade you membership.

However, again, if you're using a one Multisite network, it will be fully covered with support regardless of the domain number (if the domain registered with your account is the main domain of your multisite network).

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• PCI Team

Hi Adam

That is really helpful. They are separate installs, so I think that it will be safe to activate Membership 2 on addon-site.

Just to be double, double sure, when I go to
    http://main-site.com/wp-admin/network/sites.php
    there is only 1 domain listed: main-site.com

So, would you agree that addon-site is not part of the main-site Multisite environment?

I'll check our membership to see if we can add a second domain to the account.

Many thanks!

Frances

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Frances,

Glad to hear you got this working for you :slight_smile:

And I am able to have WPMU DEV dashboard open on both sites at the same time. The only difference is that for the Addon site I have to manually upload plugins.

I didn't express myself correctly, that is exactly what should happen, you can have dashboard on multiple sites but you won't be able to take advantage of auto update on both of them :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.