Managing Popular Chat

..I'm having great fun with the Chat plugin, which I really like, however I'm a little worried that my site will become so popular that I'll have droves of people trying to chat and it will bring my server down (or at least get it to groan like a dying pop star). Is there any fancy way you could think of where I could host the chat bit on a separate server, and thereby not affect the stress levels on the rest of my site while I'm hosting my incredibly popular chats?

Or failing that, is there a way of limiting the number of chatters?

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @ideasgarden

Hope you are well today, glad your liking the chat plugin! :slight_smile:

If you have access to another server, you could create a sub domain and host your chat there, but you'd need to set your DNS settings to point to that for the chat and it wouldn't be on the same site, i.e you'd need to login to the other site it's hosted on and moderate it.

You can limit the number of messages show on initial page load, go to settings > chat > in post options, there you'll see a box where it'll say "Number of messages to display on initial page load" enter the number you want in that box. While this will speed up page load times, it doesn't truncate the message in the database.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• ideasgarden

Hi Jack!

Thanks for your speedy response.

Yeah that different DNS approach seems a bit messy alright.. I'll be running the chat from a page protected by Wishlist.

Thanks too for the "number of messages to display" bit, I guess it's still not going to help if there are too many people trying to get involved. (That would be a feature request so! Be able to specify the max number of participants, or better still, intelligently spot when a server is getting heavily loaded and stop new people joining the chat.)

Have you guys ever had any issues with heavily subscribed chat sessions (eg the live question time) where you've had to worry about it affecting the other workings of the site? Or am I being paranoid and it should handle typical chat sessions fine?

Cheers,

Richard

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Richard!

Yeah it would be messy and complicated to set-it up like that :slight_smile:

Feel free to open a feature request ticket :slight_smile:

I don't believe there have been any issues, it all really depends on your server configuration, if you have a super duper dedicated server then I'm sure you'll be more than fine, if your on something like a shared hosting GoDaddy account or similar then you may experience some slowdown.

Or am I being paranoid and it should handle typical chat sessions fine?

I'd say you might be a little bit paranoid :wink: It should handle chat sessions just fine :slight_smile:

Of course if you have any problems we're here to help!

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.