Managing Posts

I would like to know the best plugin for managing posts for approval from out members. One that would notify of a post and be able to approve or disapprove it.

• Milan

Hey prosperyourmind ( I must say you chose quite fancy name :slight_smile: )

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

So here is how you can do this. :slight_smile: ( I am assuming you've assigned "Author" role to your members to let them make a post )

#1) Install this plugin Capability Manager
    #2) Go to User > Capability > Select New Role > Chose "Author" > and hit "Change"
    #3) Now find entry for "Publish Posts" and uncheck it. ( This will not let your member with "Author" role publish post )
    #4) Save Changes. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. :slight_smile: If you need anymore help with this, please do let me know. :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello prosperyourmind!

I noticed that you granted a support access to your site so I checked it. It's a Multisite setup so the "Capability Manager" is available in dashboards of sites and not in "Network admin".

That said, please go to the dashboard of that selected site (main site or any of sub-sites) that you wish to adjust user role and and there you'll find the "Users -> Capabilities...." settings.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello prosperyourmind!

In my last post here I referred only to the fact that you weren't able to find the "Users -> Capabilities" option anywhere. Let me then make sure that we're on the same side here :slight_smile: You'd like to control publishing of content all over your network in a way that

- none of the content get's published initially regardless whoever added it, including admins of sub-sites
    - all newly added content that's not been published yet is shown somewhere in your Network Admin dashboard
    - you as a super-admin (let's note a strict difference here between an "admin" as in "admin of the single site of your network and a "super-admin" as a "network admin/you") then either approve the post or not and as a result it gets published or not.

Do I understand it right now? Correct me if I'm wrong please (an example user/case scenario would be helpful then).

Best reagards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello prosperyourmind,

Thank you for confirming what I wrote and for additional information.

This is unfortunately what I suspected and that's not something that would be possible "out of the box". WordPress Multisite architecture is to let users run their own "separate" sites but withing centrally managed network where "centrally managed" refers to "tech issues". The super-admin role is not a "super-editor" and what you wish to achieve wouldn't be possible in a simple way. I'm not aware of any plugin that would let you do this.

I can see two ways around:

1. "Degrade" all admins, editors and authors (they're able to publish posts) to "contributors"

You will however need to go to each newly added post and publish it manually and there'll be no exceptions to this. Furthermore, this will also prevent admins from administering their sites.

2. Use a plugin suggested by my colleague Milan to remove publishing capability from these roles.

That'd be slightly better solution because it will still allow admins to manage their sites but still each and every post would have to be published by you.

Also, you would need a way to display all new "unpublished" posts from across the network in a central place. We got plugins that could help you here but they don't show "unpublished" posts so they'd need to be changed.

The bottom line is: I believe that a setup like this would require a custom solution that'd be made specifically for your site as I didn't find any ready to use one. You may want to post a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here then:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.