Managing Your Buddypress Community

I just wanted to get some basic information on the best way to set up and manage my Buddypress network.

I have some multisites and regular installs running BP. The one thing that has never been clear to me is how to manage new members and what best practices are involved. I have several sites and I have had to shut down new member sign ups because of spam. I just downloaded the Anti-Splog plugin and I am hoping that will help things - but it is only good for multisites (which means my BP network on my regular installs won't be able to use it).

Does anyone have any best practices or ideas about how to approach this subject? I'll probably do a little digging and compose some kind of manual to help others out like me in the future. Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey jonnylons, welcome to the WPMU Dev Community! :slight_smile:

Spam......... erm........ Its an absolute nightmare and sadly there is little you can do. Both WordPress and BuddyPress are like a magnet for spam due to their overwhelming popularity.

You could use plugins like Anti Splog and Wanguard. It might even help reduce the spam you get but it will never stop it. Especially there are places around the world you can pay $1 for 1000 captchas and insertions......

Ways to combat this:

+ Restrict registration, perhaps through invite codes, signups through FB, Twttier but they get spam also).
    + Stick it behind manual activation, its time consuming and you could still get it wrong sometimes.
    + Pop your whole site behind a paywall, charge them something silly like $0.10 for access and then refund them afterwards.
    + SMS activation.

Thats a few ideas... :slight_smile:

Take care.

• jonnylons

Thanks, Tim!

Those are all great ideas - especially the add behind a paywall. That is an excellent strategy. Would be interesting if you not only could reimburse someone their $.10 but instead, award them the reimbursement if they got someone else to sign up.

I guess this is a reason why some opt to not go for an open sourced solution. But my greater query is just how to structure and set up the entire multisite/buddypress altogether. There doesn't seem to be a step by step guide that I can find that will help me set up my community efficiently. Thanks for your help thought!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again

Those are all great ideas - especially the add behind a paywall. That is an excellent strategy. Would be interesting if you not only could reimburse someone their $.10 but instead, award them the reimbursement if they got someone else to sign up.

If you decided not to reimburse them, perhaps there could be a facility to charge them for something, ie they credit to use in MarketPlace.... Or if you have some kind of arcade.... Or perhaps you send them out a little sticker which they could pop in their car to advertise you.. There are a fair few options you could do.

Paypal I think do it the other way, they drop a couple of pence into your bank account and then ask you to confirm the figure.

Another one would be to mail them a password... Issues to consider are cost, the amount of time it takes them and if that time is too long it could just turn them off doing it.

I guess this is a reason why some opt to not go for an open sourced solution. But my greater query is just how to structure and set up the entire multisite/buddypress altogether. There doesn't seem to be a step by step guide that I can find that will help me set up my community efficiently. Thanks for your help thought!

Well commercial software can be just as bad sometimes. Because people pay for spamming software, people pay others to go around spamming for them. You can't stop the manual spam, its a human doing it.

As for structuring, its basically popping the plugin on your site, installing it. Choosing the page slugs and your away. Unless you plan to get dirty with the code or pay someone to, then its all really a default thing.... I suppose, you are limited by their imagination where as if it were you doing it then you would only be limited by your own.

I hope thats making sense? :slight_smile:

For setting it up, I would set up the multisite. Then install BuddyPress. From there I would get use to it all, find a nice theme or get something custom done. Then decide if there is something else you want, if there is then search to see if its available as a plugin. If it isn't then consider getting something more custom done for it.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.