Manual Back Up not working

I've been trying for ages to back up my blog using the Snapshot - both from the blog and also from the Dev Dashboard here on the site - but it's just not working and I don't understand why. I took a screenshot of the error I am getting, hoping you can help me with the issue.

After having to twice throw out over a hundred quidd to my (now old) hoting provider because my page went down and I had no backup of it, so had to pay them to restore my page (safe to say I have now changed provider to someone who does this for free!) I am very paranoid and really want to make sure I have things backed up at all times.

Are you able to shed some light on what I need to do to make this work?

• Tyler Postle

Hey ERFmama,

This could be due to the size of the chunks it is trying to backup, we can adjust the backup chunk size by adding these constants to your wp-config.php

define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 50);

define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 50);

We can try going smaller if needed, but lets start with that.

After adding those to your wp-config, then try running the backup again. I've turned on the "info" level for the error log so that should give us a bit more info on what goes wrong, if anything.

If it works, then make sure you change those options back to "warning" so it doesn't continue to add unnecessary bloat to your log file.

If for any reason you would prefer we added those constants and ran that test for you then just send in your FTP credentials so we can do that

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Sorry for my delay ERFmama - happy to

You will want to find this line in your wp-config:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Then paste it above it, like in my screenshot:

and yes you will want to paste both of them because they are actually very slightly different

One is for the file sets and the other is for the table sets. Basically how the Snapshot works is it breaks up all your files into smaller chunks so it's easier to upload them and also shouldn't timeout your server. It does the same thing with your database, breaks it into small chunks.

The wp-config constants you are adding, will adjust the size of those chunks so hopefully your server will be able to manage it.

If you need any further assistance with that just let me know

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

ERFmama no problem, it should be in the root folder of your WordPress install

Are you using FTP or checking in your admin editor? It won't show up in your admin editor as it contains sensitive info; however, you should be able to see it in your root folder via FTP or with the "File Manager" of your cPanel.

If you would like me to have a look for you then just send in your FTP or admin credentials as described above:

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler