Manual Member Payments using Membership 2 Pro

Hello,

I'm a new user and have some questions, but first I have to explain our workflow...

Potential members apply with an online application which is then reviewed by our leadership team.
If they are not accepted, we make the user account inactive.
If they are accepted;
as a Member, then we charge a $49 application fee and $500 membership fee for the year, renewals are $500.
as an Associate, we charge a $49 application fee and $300 per quarter.

This is where I'm stuck... I'm ordering my questions in order of importance with the first being most important.

I know we have to manually enter the payment details for pre-existing members because they are grandfathered in at a lower price with no application fee and their membership type is hidden - but how do we do that? We have their signed auto-pay forms on file... Do we just create a bill and pay it online? Will this sync with the membership activation/deactivation?

How can I change the "subscribe" button text to another value? I'd prefer to change it in a setting somewhere but can't find such. If I have to, I will do a CSS override.

How can I modify the Invoice page? It's got some alignment issues and I'd like it to use a different page template than the default.

Thank you,
John

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello John,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

The Membership 2 Pro plugin doesn't currently support "setup/signup" payments and due to some restrictions from payment gateway's operators it's a user that has to provide payment details and accept payments. The only exception to the last statement would be if the payment is via Debit/Credit cart and you do know necessary payment details - you could then just complete transaction in the name of the client. That is, from the "technical point of view" - I'm not an expert in law so I won't dive into this :slight_smile:

I know we have to manually enter the payment details for pre-existing members because they are grandfathered in at a lower price with no application fee and their membership type is hidden - but how do we do that? We have their signed auto-pay forms on file... Do we just create a bill and pay it online? Will this sync with the membership activation/deactivation?

Assuming that you do have access to the payment details that would let you use members credit cart (and have all the necessary legal permissions for these) the simplest solution would be like this:

1. Setup two memberships that are non-public (I'll focus on your "Associates" as for other kind of memberships you would just want to replicate these steps)

- one membership would be the "actual" members with all the "bells and whistles" (access to content etc) and would be set as recurring membership, paid $300 every 3 months;

- the other one would be set as "One payment for permanent access" with $49 payment amount

2. Using "Membership 2 -> Add members" page -> "Select an existing WordPress user" form find that user's account and assign both memberships

3. Go to the "Membership 2 -> Billing" page and use "Create new invoice" button:

- set invoice status to "Billed - User can see the invoice and needs to pay"
    - select user from "Invoice for member" list (this applies to these "grandfathered" users)
    - select your "initial pay" membership from "Payment for membership" list
    - put appropriate ($49) amount into "Amount (USD)" field
    - set a "Due date" (which can be in very near future as you are going to pay anyway)
    - save changes

- repeat that for your "real" membership (the $300 membership)

4. Payment

- go to the "Membership 2 -> Billing" page
    - find the first invoice that you just issued
    - click on "View" link that appears when you hover over that invoice number (that's different than clicking on invoice number itself!)
    - there'll be a payment ("Subscribe") button below so as long as it's a Credit Cart payment (or you do have access to clients PayPal account) you should be able to make payements; I'm not 100% sure about PayPal but Stripe wouldn't require any login in order to use Credit Cart payment

- repeat these steps for the second invoice.

At this point:
    - membership - the main one and that additional one (which was only for an initial payment) - should be assigned to the member and active and payment information should be assigned properly to the user account.

Please note though that this is highly unusual case and I didn't have a chance to test it. It should work fine as long as you do have payment data at your disposal and the payment doesn't require you to be logged in to member's account at payment gateway or a bank account. I would however suggest testing this first with some "dummy user data" and test credit card numbers with payment gateway in sandbox/testing mode.

How can I change the "subscribe" button text to another value? I'd prefer to change it in a setting somewhere but can't find such. If I have to, I will do a CSS override.

Please go to the "Membership 2 -> Settings -> Payment" page and edit the payment gateway(s) that you are using. I'll refer to the PayPal Standard Gateway as an example:

- find the "Payment button label or URL" filed
    - put your own text that should appear instead of default "Subscribe" button in that field or alternatively...
    - create a button image, upload it to your Media Library and put an URL of it to that field

If this field is empty, it shows the default "Subscribe" button image but if you fill it with either the raw text message or an URL to any image - that will be used instead.

How can I modify the Invoice page? It's got some alignment issues and I'd like it to use a different page template than the default.

The simplest way would be to add some custom CSS to the site. Once you create your CSS you can put it into the "style.css" file of your theme (preferably the child theme) or to the "Custom CSS" option of the theme (if there is such an option) or use a Simple Custom CSS plugin

In case some more advance customization was necessary, you may create a custom page template for invoice page.

The template file to put into your theme folder (child theme preferably) should be named "ms-invoice.php" for "general" invoice template and/or "ms-invoice-100.php" for an invoice specific to the membership of ID 100. You would of course want to substitute the "100" part of the name with an ID of selected membership.

The best way to start with such custom template would be to with existing one. To do this, copy the content of "single-ms_invoice.php" file into your custom template file. The file is located in this folder

/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/template/

of your site.

For more information on Membership 2 Pro customization, take a look please at "Membership 2 -> Help -> Customize Membership 2" page in your site's dashboard.

If you have any further questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello John!

Whenever you got any idea on a new feature or a modification of an existing one, please feel free to post it on our "Features & Feedback" forum. To do this, just start a new ticket like you did in this case, assign it to the plugin that you are referring to but select "Feature Suggestions and Feedback" as a topic from the drop-down list on the form:

Your message will be posted on "Features & Feedback" forum that's followed by the developers and other members of our community will be able to vote for the idea. If it gets more support, developers will consider adding it to one of the future releases of the given plugin :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam