Manual Payment gateway?

I know this may seem "backwards in time" for the web but we work with a number of organizations with existing memberships who are used to "mailing a check" when it comes time to renew. They don't want to mess with that "PayPal thingy" :slight_smile:

We have found one plugin that allows members to register/renew and choose manual payment. They are instructed to send a check and the client has to manually approve them once the check clears. The clients like this as we've seen 50-75% of members pay online but the late adopters need a way to send a check.

Is there a way to do this with the Membership plugin? or a work-around?

I guess I should also ask if the membership plugin manages the recurring memberships (monthly, yearly) and then goes to the payment gateway to collect payment OR does the membership plugin require you use PayPal Subscriptions and PayPal manages the renewals?

We prefer NOT to have PayPal manage as the member can choose year to year how they want to pay or if we add a gateway or option.

Sorry a lot of questions in one post

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Is there a way to do this with the Membership plugin? or a work-around?

You should be able to copy an existing gateway (such as paypal express) and modify that to achieve similar functionality to request a check rather than online payment. That'll require coding up of course!

does the membership plugin require you use PayPal Subscriptions and PayPal manages the renewals?

I believe that Membership creates a PayPal subscription which is then recorded within Membership itself. This means less leg work for Membership.

Hope that helps!
    Phil

• Bob Randklev
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

So maybe this question is for the import plugin forum https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/add-existing-users but when we import users into membership are they added or is an annual subscription created?

This is the issue with many membership plugins which let PayPal manage the subscriptions, there's no way to import a list of existing members and add them to a recurring membership to get renewal reminders etc..

Does membership allow for importing users and adding to a subscription?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Membership doesn't allow for importing of members and automatically creating a subscription. To do so would allow you to add anybody you like and charge their PayPal account potentially without their knowledge. Hence why everything goes through PayPal.

Phil

• Bob Randklev
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ah ok this is what I was talking about.

I was hoping the membership plugin would handle the membership renewals not rely on an outside source.

We had a fu-pah with a client who a few years ago started by using PayPal for membership. Later they wanted to add a new payment gateway so we had to go into PayPal and delete all the subscriptions then have everyone re-register.. there may have been an easier way but that is what we are trying to avoid.

I hope the membership module will some day manage the recurring memberships internally and let the member choose the payment gateway of their choice and not be locked into Paypal Subscriptions.

Maybe someone has a better idea or I'm missing something obvious to solve this?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I should think it's possible to do so with a custom gateway and you can start off by copying and adapting the existing PayPal gateway. I wouldn't know exactly how to go about that though, as you'd need to build a lot of stuff into the gateway itself.

Phil

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi guys, I just wanted to mention that the relatively new PayPal with Single Payments gateway in Membership manages the subscriptions internally rather than relying on PayPal to manage them.

We'll have to get that added to our installation pages along with a few other items but that's essentially what that gateway is designed to do.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.