Many changelogs not showing

In The Hub, open site, go to Plugins, select a single plugin, then click Changelog. Many of the plugins do not offer a changelog. But even when the data is missing from the Hub, it is present in the WP.org page for the plugin at wordpress.org/plugins/plugin-name/#developers

Where exactly is this data sourced from, and what can we do to help ensure that we can see the changelogs here - like, ask developers to post their logs in some specific way? At this point I don't know if Dev isn't sourcing data properly or if other developers aren't doing everything they need to do. Thanks.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Tony G

The changelog is read from the readme.txt file that comes with the plugin. It is grabbed from the section where it mentioned changelog in that file. like the following:

== Changelog ==

= x.x.x =
    * Some text
    * Some text
    * Some text

= y.y.y =
    * Some text
    * Some text
    * Some text

I have also tested some plugins changelog on hub for my site and I could see the changelog there. Do you see the issue with any specific plugins? If so, would you please name them so that I can install those on my site and check the changelog from my hub?

Besides, if you please post some relevant screenshots which you think may help us to see the issue, would be very helpful :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Tony G
      • Mr. LetsFixTheWorld

Well, since Automate is updating all of my plugins, it will be a while before there are new changelogs from a variety of plugins to post here. Suffice to say, there were a Lot of them or I would not have posted here. It's possible that the Ajax mechanism that retrieves the file data wasn't working consistently. I dunno - I saw a problem and reported it and now through normal usage the symptoms are all gone. To test, just turn off Automate plugin updates for one or more sites that have a lot of plugins, and keep an eye on the changelogs.

Since we're here - it would be nice if we could still see the changelogs for all plugins even after they have been updated. Consider "the plugin has already been updated, you don't need to know what was in this last update or any previous updates". (Picture Obi Wan Kenobi talking to a storm trooper.) That doesn't make any sense. :slight_smile:

• Ash
        • WordPress Hacker

Hello Tony G

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely keep an eye on one of my test sites. As I said, I have checked other day and I could see the full changelog.

there were a Lot of them or I would not have posted here

I didn't mean it actually, I just want to make sure that I am getting the information before I report to the hub team :slight_smile:

This might be possible if the changelog is very large then the ajax is not fetching full data, but I am not sure about that.

So, please if you see such issue again, please let me know the plugin name and I will check on my hub, and report back to the hub team. I will also keep an eye on my test site.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
        Ash

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Julian,

I tested with Yoast SEO plugin, but I wasn't able to replicate any specific issue, this is how it looks:

Do you still notice the issues as stated in the screenshot? If yes, could you please point out which website we should be looking at, so that we could bring this into our developers attention?

Looking forward to your reply. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Julian
      • Fake Russian Bot

Nithin I'll check again and let you know.

In your screenshot it's not entirely as it should be either, the changelog isn't shown but it should be. The Yoast SEO plugin changelog has always been visible in the Hub update modal but not anymore since recently. I know there are more plugins where it doesn't work but I'll have to keep an eye on the updates and check which ones.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.