Map domain with multisite install in root folder

I installed the multi-site in the root directory and not a sub-folder. Are all the steps to map a domain still the same? I am having trouble mapping domain now but had no issues when it was in a subfolder.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Johnathan,

I hope you are well today. Thank you for having Support Staff Login enabled so I could look into this issue further.

Yes, the procedure should be the same.

If your primary domain for the network is mapped to /home/user/public_html/
    Then any mapped domains you've added as add-on domains should also be pointed to /home/user/public_html/

After checking your settings and making some adjustments, I was able to add the domain in Domain Mapping, but it is not mapping correctly due to settings in cPanel.

In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site and server?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Domain Registrar Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• Johnathan
    • Flash Drive

so I would point the new domain to /home/user/public_html/ in phpmyadmin? is there documentation? I want to learn how to do this!

**I thought when creating a new site the multi-site automatically creates a new folder and .htacces file

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Johnathan,

so I would point the new domain to /home/user/public_html/ in phpmyadmin? is there documentation? I want to learn how to do this!

Not in phpMyAdmin, but rather in cPanel in the add-on domain section.

Another thoughtL the DNS Cname should point to the domain name of the root directory right?
    For Example: subdomain.com's Cname would be domain.com

No, the mapped domain needs to be pointed to the IP address that is defined in Domain Mapping. You then need to add the domain as an add-on domain and point it to the directory where your multisite is installed.

The product usage page for Domain Mapping does offer some information. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

However, I believe the following blog post (tutorial) will be most instructive in this situation. https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/domain-mapping-wordpress/

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.