Map Main Site Domain Name

G'day Guys,

I have installed the plugin on a multisite and when activated it works fine. My domain has a dedicated IP and is accessible via that IP as well.

But I want to map a sup domain to my main site so the original domain name will not be visible.
This is what I have done now:

http://www.mainsite.com (multisite install with domain mapping installed)
created a record on sup domain: sup.otherdomain.com with dedicated IP from mainsite.com.
Added sup.otherdomain.com in the Domain Mapping Options (at http://www.mainsite.com)

Will this able me to show the main site as: sup.otherdomain.com?

• aecnu

Greetings dutchmen,

This seems like a path problem and I am just wondering if concerning the slider if changing the path to the image locations using the mapped domain will fix this and for the plugin if activating it under the Mapped Domain is a cure.

In addition, I am also wondering if another Domain Mapping plugin would give better results not requiring these adjustments at all. i.e. WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin

Please advise as to your hopefully successful results.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Dutchman

What I have done is, setting up a CNAME on the sub.otherdomain.com pointing to the mainsite.com (wich is a totally different domain name and with another registrar) and on the mainsite I have set under tools-domain mapping: sup.otherdomain.com.

When doing that it will go to the mainsite.com with the name sup.otherdomain.com in the address bar, wich is good. But not showing the pictures right (yes the path is not correct when checking with firebug).

But, when deleting the sup.otherdomain.com from the Domain mapping settings (at the mainsite wp dashboard) the sup.otherdomain.com will go to the mainsite.com as well AND change the URL in the address bar also to mainsite.com with the images showing correctly.

But I dont want my members to see the mainiste.com, only see sup.otherdomain.com.
    Any suggestions?

ps
    meanwhile I'm reading the link to see if I can understand what I'm doing :wink:

• aecnu

Greetings dutchmen,

Thank you for the explanation on how you are accomplishing the sub domain redirect, it may be the problem we are looking for.

In accordance with normal domain mapping protocol you would want to be pointing an "A" record to the IP of the main site and then WordPress and Domain Mapping should be resolving the URL, which in your above scenario WordPress and Domain Mapping are not resolving the URL and this may indeed be the image problem.

Please test out creating an "A" record for your sub domain as described above pointing it to the IP and of course having Domain Mapping route the remainder and lets see what we get :slight_smile:

Please advise and looking forward to your test results.

Cheers, Joe

• Dutchman

Ok, I setup an A record pointing it to the IP adress (that the mainsite has as a dedictaed IP) and removed the CNAME ofcourse.
    When going to the IP it goes nicely to the mainsite (also changes it into the domain name in the address bar: http://www.mainsite.com)

BUT
    Same thing happens when I add the sup.otherdomain.com to the Domain Mapping settings.
    Images not showing up properly. Website does show up and functional. But somehow the uploaded images path do not change with it.

I flushed the DNS after waiting for more than a day to make sure the settings are changed.
    Any other suggestions?