Mapped domain points to signup page

Can anyone point out what I seemed to have messed up here been through the directions a few times and looked through the forum but I'm at a lost.

The sub-domain I am trying to map over is pointing to mysite.com/wp-signup.php in the following format - mysite.com/wp-signup.php?new=themappeddomain

I noticed my dedicated IP also points to /wp-signup.php when you try to visit it.

Not sure if it part of the same problem or not but when I go to the sub-domain admin panel and enter the domain it seems to take the information but their is no notification that it has been added.

• orangethermal

It it helps my host said it is not an IP issue on there end and they think it is .htaccess issue.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

I think I hit everything in the directions when I went over it multiple times but it could easily be something stupid on my end. Also, not sure if it matters I'm running multi-database.

• aecnu

Greetings orangethermal,

Thank you for supplying this information it is greatly appreciated and critical for trouble shooting Domain Mapping.

It appears from your post above that this mapping is backwards, it should be the TLD bmwlog.com being mapped to the sub domain cars.vsbpress.com

What is the MultiSite main domain?

If it is vsbpress.com we are on the right track. If it is not then we have a misconception of how it works.

They are in fact pointing to the same IP which is correct and expected 204.197.247.161

Another thing I found was when doing a reverse IP on the domain it is telling me that it is NOT on a Dedicated IP as required for successful Domain Mapping.

Reverse IP Lookup Results—15,766,447 domains hosted on IP address 68.178.232.100
    Web Site
    0-60mph.org
    xmppuser.com
    xmppuser.net

Etc. etc.

This in fact may be because the domain has not yet fully propagated to 204.197.247.161 at this time.

A reverse IP on the IP itself results in a very limited share at this time:

Reverse IP Lookup Results—2 domains hosted on IP address 204.197.247.161
    Web Site
    ashleyssecrets.com
    hugills.info

Please advise on when the TLD bmwlog.com actually had its DNS switched to 204.197.247.161 and also if we are in fact trying to map it backwards as mentioned above.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• orangethermal

Thanks for reply:

VSBPress.com is the Multi-Site main domain.

204.197.247.161 is the IP my host assigned for a dedicated IP

BMWLog.com is a Godaddy domain and I changed the A Record to point to 204.197.247.161 about 10 hours ago but assume it was propagating correctly because it was going to VSBPress.com but just going to the signup page.

I do wonder about ashleyssecrets.com, hugills.info since neither one of those are mine but the IP was just assigned to me about 10 hours ago so maybe those are what was on it before.

Did the the htaccess that the host suspected as the problem look right to you?

• aecnu

Greetings orangethermal,

We must have cross posted because I never saw the htaccess file post, but below is my working htaccess file:

<files wp-config.php>
    order allow,deny
    deny from all
    </files>
    # BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

They are the same and the top lines of mine protect the wp-config.php file from being read which protects the database info, but certainly not relative to domain mapping.

It is certainly not a propagation issue as shown here:
    http://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/BMWLog.com

Now it is time to dive deep if you will so allow, but not too deep.

Please consider sending me the wp network admin login details to aecnu (at) incsub.com and please include a copy of this ticket URL:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/mapped-domain-points-to-signup-page

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings orangethermal,

Done :slight_smile:

You had not actually mapped the domain to the cars sub site.

I went into the cars subsite dashboard via the network admin dashboard and then to Tools --> Domain Mapping and mapped the domain.

It worked instantly. Therefore you had everything in place and set up correctly, you were just missing the actual pointing so to speak.

Please check and advise :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• orangethermal

Apologies, I must of missed the email on your reply (just noticed by refreshing the page).

I had did that more than a few times on my end:

(from the first post)

Not sure if it part of the same problem or not but when I go to the sub-domain admin panel and enter the domain it seems to take the information but their is no notification that it has been added.

But I re-logged in and I see you have it in there under the custom domain. Maybe my IE Settings are messing something up on my end.

Either way awesome support and much appreciated!!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.