Mapped domain using Wordpress MU Domains Plugin

When using Smartcrawl with Wordpress MU Domain Mapping from https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/ (NOT The WPMU variety), the mapped domain does not appear within the sitemap. I see that the Smartcrawl option $sitemap_options['sitemapurl'] is storing the development domain, sub.multisitedomain.com instead of mappeddomain.com. How do I get Smartcrawl to recognize the mapped domain and store it correctly? Please note I DO NOT wish to have users log into my multisite via their mapped domains, only via the parent multisite domain sub.multisitedomain.com for security and other reasons.

Thanks in Advance,
--
Pete

• Ash

Hello @Pete

I hope you are doing good and thanks for asking the question.

If you make changes to a sub site and are logged in under the sub site original domain (not mapped), it will update the sitemap with the original domain. If you are logged into the sub site under the mapped domain, then changes you make to the sub site will have the mapped domain in the url.

Once you update with mapped domain, then if visit with subsite original domain and do not go to sitemap settings page, it should be okay then

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Pete T

Hey Ash,

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately this is not an option for many users. Many security, domain mapping, and or SSL plugins may disallow logging into multisite with mapped domains. So one could potentially never have access to the mapped domain in the admin. For example, perhaps you have a subdomain SSL cert on your MU site and force all users to login via SSL to theirsite.networkdomain.com for security. Or perhaps you're using some kind of brute force circumvention that forces original subdomain login, uses brute force cookies, etc.

The developer should be made aware of this as it could create a potential problem when the site map gets updated and then abandoned by SE crawls since the multisite domain differs from the actual domain and is disallowed -- As I just had happen with 38 Web sites

My solution, albeit not potentially very elegant, was to filter home_url() (which Smartcrawl uses for the sitemap) to use the mapped domain provided by the domain mapping plugin in my theme functions like so:

/* Filters the home_url() in the admin area for help with smartcrawl sitemaps */
    add_filter('home_url', 'domain_mapping_post_content');

Hopefully the plugin author will realize this limitation and provide means, perhaps via an option field, to force a specified domain for site maps.

Thanks
    --
    Pete