Mapping a subdomain of a add-on domain in multisite.

Hi guys,

Im trying to map a subdomain for a support site connected to a domain that is not my main multisite domain.

the main multisite domain is
http://buntingmediagroup.com.au and all the sites are a sub of this url and mapped via your domain mapping plugin.

The sub site I'm working with, is on the domain lawyers.buntingmediagroup.com.au and has the mapped domain http://aussielawyerdirectory.com.au attached. I need to create a subdomain site for the support site. So i created the site support.buntingmediagroup.com.au on the multi and installed the portal. can I map the sub domain support.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au to it to keep it uniform?

eg

Multisite domain
buntingmediagroup.com.au

Sub site
aussielawyerdirectory.com.au

Site needed
support.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au

Thanks!
Brendan

• dynamitemarketing
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Martin, Thanks for the reply. Yes I could do that. It would help me in the admin area identify the support site a lot better so yes, ill change it soon. But I still don't know how to create and point the url "support.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au" to that subdomain.

Cheers!
    Brendan

• dynamitemarketing
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ive tried. It just does not seem work. Its easy to map a sub domain to the multisite main domain but mapping a sub domain on a add-on domain I can't get to work. In other words i need to map support.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au to support.buntingmediagroup.com.au

Bunting Media is the multisite main account URL with all new sites created as a subdomain of this site.

aussielawyerdirectory is a parked domain in cpanel for one of the multi sites blogs.

I hope that makes sense?

• Webmaster
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I think Martin nailed it.

You *should* want

aussielawyerdirectory.com.au

to map to

lawyers.buntingmediagroup.com.au

and then

support.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au

to map to

support.lawyers.buntingmediagroup.com.au

The way you suggest:

support.buntingmediagroup.com.au

would be used for your own support site.

(And if you have open site registration, the use of such name - like support, admin, sales, ect. - should be a prohibited site names in the Pro Sites configuration. Else, any user could create a support.buntingmediagroup.com.au site or sales.buntingmediagroup.com.au site or some similarly confusing site name that looks like it is affiliated with your company.)

• dynamitemarketing
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Silver and sorry Martin, I tried it and yes worked perfect. Thanks. I was thinking past it too much. To be honest I still can't see how support.buntingmediagroup.com.au could not be mapped but support.lawyers.buntingmediagroup.com.au could. the first one would not work but the second would even though at the end of the day they are both simply a name for a blog.

Lesson learned!
    Cheers

• dynamitemarketing
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Strangely I can't seem to do it again.

I did the same as I did with the support. I need a blog subdomain. so I went an created the CNAME

blog.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au TO blog.lawyers.buntingmediagroup.com.au

Then went to the wordpress menu TOOLS >> DOMAIN MAPPING and added blog.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au

But nothing. Is there a propagation period or server update that could be behind this?

• Webmaster
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yes, there is a propagation period. And of course, you have to set the DNS for blog.lawyers.buntingmediagroup.com.au before you make a cname for it (which I assume you did). And you can always work around this while you are waiting for DNS to propagate by adding the name to your local hosts file like this:

203.143.84.140      blog.lawyers.buntingmediagroup.com.au    # real host name
    203.143.84.140      blog.aussielawyerdirectory.com.au    # client cname

For more detail on that you can look at this

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.