mapping an external subdomain

Hello,

I have an external domain, call it domainONE.com - I want to add subdomain.domainTWO.com - I see that it is necessary to add an A record and maybe a CNAME, but the details are eluding me. Can you help?

Thanks,
Paul

• Gabe

Hey Paul. My assumption is that you want to add subdomain.domainTWO.com as a subsite of domainONE.com's network.

First you'll need to point subdomain.domainTWO.com to domainONE.com. To do this you can either set an A record to domainONE.com's host IP address or CNAME to domainONE.com's host name.

Next, go to whatever the original site is, let's call it whatever.domainONE.com and go to Tools > Domain Mapping and simply map subdomain.domainTWO.com to it (see attached screenshot). It may take a few days for the DNS changes to propagate.

• Patrick

Hi @paul_clerc,

Welcome to the forums!

First of all, I'd like to be sure that you are running a multisite installation of WordPress with a dedicated IP. Are you? If not, then this plugin may not function properly.

Second, just to clarify: do you want to direct subdomain.domainTWO.com to domainONE.com, or direct domainONE.com to subdomain.domainTWO.com?

Also, are you using cPanel at your hosting account?

• maiki

I don't use the plugin from WPMU, but I believe it is similar to the one on WP.org. Here is an example of what I am doing with a network for my personal use.

I run a network at solanin.net.

My blog was created as interi.solanin.net. I pointed interi.org to the IP address as an A record (because I use Rackspace's DNS, and they don't allow the top level of a domain to be set as a CNAME; your milage may vary from host to host). Then in my dashboard I added interi.org as a domain pointing to my site, and I made it the primary domain (interi.org), which means that all other addresses pointed at my blog will redirect to it. So if you go to interi.solanin.net, the browser will get interi.org.

I think primary and sub-domain are confusing, that is why I explained it out like that.

Now, I plan on running some forums, at forums.interi.org. I am going to use bbPress, and it will be its own site. So I will create forums.solanin.net, and I will add the sub-domain forums.interi.org to that site, and I will set it as the primary domain. When I point that address to the site I will create a CNAME record, so it points like this:

forums.interi.org -> forums.solanin.net

Perhaps other folks can help you with cPanel, I don't use it. However, the answer is yes, you can have a sub-domain on a different address point to a sub-site on a WordPress multi-site network. ^_^

• maiki

Hmm. Another complication with the wpmu plugin is that once I added the custom domain, the original domain was inexplicably pointed to it. So domainONE.com (the original domain) now is redirected to subdomain.domainTWO.com when I type domainONE.com into the URL bar. Sounds like maybe the original domain mapping plugin may be better for this purpose?

Nope, that is the intended behavior. You don't want duplicate content, the redirect tells browsers and search engines that the primary address is where to look for the content.

If you want to make multiple sites have the same content, there are other ways to do that, but it is beyond the scope of this plugin.

• wordnerd503

Maiki - thanks for your pointers here. I took your suggestion and installed the original domain mapping plugin.

So here's my situation:

1. I have domainONE.com set up, installed, working great.
    2. I am trying to add domainTWO.com so that it can be managed in the multisite installation. To that end, I went to Settings->Domains (/wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=dm_domains_admin) and added domainTWO.com - then per the instructions HERE I added the A record to domainONE.com and added domainTWO.com as a parked domain (points to /) with no redirection.

So far the domainONE.com is not resolving where it should be. Any ideas?

Thank you