Mapping subsomain in multisite

Hello,

I just set up my multisite and everything works fine.

I can create subdomains for my main domain and map some other domains to these subdomains like:

firstdomain.com mapped to sub1.maindomain.com
seconddomain.com mapped to sub2.maindomain.com

However I could not map a subdomain of another domain to the subdomain of the maindomain. I tried everything reading the manual and playing with dns settings. I need to do this:

sub1.thirddomain.com mapped to sub3.maindomain.com
sub2.thirddomain.com mapped to sub3.maindomain.com

Can anyone please let me know if this is possible and how I shall do dns settings. I use WPMU domain mapping too and host in pSek.

Thanks,

• aecnu

Greetings akasya,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

I think this may be best and easily accomplished by using your control panel redirect (Apache redirect) by redirecting as follows:

sub1.thirddomain.com/ --> sub3.maindomain.com
    sub2.thirddomain.com/ --> sub3.maindomain.com

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• aecnu

Greetings marikamitsos & akasya,

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev members.

Redirecting is not the same as mapping. So what you suggest produce different results.
    Is there a solution to what akasya is looking for? I would love to know as well.

Redirecting is doing exactly what akasya has indicated to be done because no matter the method which is used it is still redirecting.

Domain Mapping is not designed to map sub domain to sub domains, only TLD's to sub sites or sub domains.

Therefore I offered a working solution and considering having done so I shall mark this ticket as resolved.

However, if there is anyone with a better answer or method, please feel free to post it here with this ticket.

Thanks again both of you for being WPMU Dev members!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• akasya

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with what marikamitsos wrote. Can you please let me know how redirecting is doing exactly the same as domain mapping. I tried to do redirects it in vain. I wonder if I am doing something wrong.

In domain mapping (ex: firstdomain.com mapped to sub1.maindomain.com), the url that can be seen in the browser is firstdomain.com

When I redirect (ex: sub1.thirddomain.com mapped to sub3.maindomain.com), I see sub3.maindomain.com in the browser bar. Is it correct?

The aim of domain mapping here is to mask this subdomain, isn't it. I need to have the unique sub1.thirddomain.com there in the url in the browser bar.

I would highly appreciate if you let me know if this cannot be done with or without the domain mapping tool or any other tool. If it is not possible at all, I do not spend time in vain.

Thanks

• marikamitsos

@Joe

Redirecting is doing exactly what akasya has indicated to be done because no matter the method which is used it is still redirecting.

You are giving directions for redirecting. This is far from what akasya is looking for. He is asking about a mapping solution

Domain Mapping is not designed to map sub domain to sub domains, only TLD's to sub sites or sub domains.

Correct. I am happy that you agree with me.

Therefore I offered a working solution and considering having done so I shall mark this ticket as resolved.

First of all I don't think you offered a working solution.
    Second and most importantly even if you had done so, it is not up to you (and I don't mean personally but you as a fellow member of the support staff or anyone of the rest of the people in these forums-remember we all try to help each other) to decide whether the topic is resolved or not.
    This is something that the person who opened the ticket will decide. So please don't "kill" the topic. Especially when it has only be "alive" for 20 minutes.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member as well !!

marikamitsos

• James Farmer

:slight_smile: Nothing like a bit of robust discussion!

You can blame me for Joe marking it as resolved, we're working on policies to help us manage stuff - the aim isn't really to 'kill' it, more so we can give folk the best support possible, while managing the vast number of topics we get.

And you have a point, I don't think we shoudl mark everything as 'resolved' - especially if it's not appropriate, we're considering this at the mo, thanks for your feedback!

@akasya Joe or another support guy will be along to help ya asap.

• marikamitsos

Hello James and thanks for popping by,

It is not a matter of blaming. It has been proven that green check marks may look nice and reassuring to an outsider-"potential customer" but prime service is not always just about appearances. Being around for a while we all have experienced fine topics lost into anonymity just because they get marked as "resolved". We all strive for better solutions.
    But let's not hack akasya's topic. Enough said. :slight_smile:

In my opinion in order to set this topic (akasya's question/net-structure) as resolved would be to say: Not possible.
    If anyone has a different solution please help out.

• akasya

Hello to everyone,

I agree with marikamitsos and want to thank him. If subdomain mapping to subdomain stuff is not possible, then it is resolved for all of us. I will be glad if any expert confirm that this is not possible. I will simply completely forget about this then.

However if there is a solution or a hack to solve this, I will highly appreciate any help. It is an important part of what I am developing and I wouldnt want to learn that this was actually possible after changing all my structures.

The only reason I became an elite member is to have the chance to solve a few critical things fast without having to spend a lot of time trying to learn them myself.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.