mapping two multisite to the same Domain

I like to map my new domain to multisitedomain/number1 and my new domain/number2 to multisite domain/number2. Is that possible ?

Regards Andreas

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Andreas,

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

Currently our Domain Mapping plugin doesn’t support such feature. I’m not sure if any Domain Mapping would, although it may be possible to map like this:

newdomain -> domain/number1

sub.newdomain -> domain/number2

I didn’t try this but seems doable.

As for mapping sub directory of the domain I’m thinking that you could try .htaccess redirection but this is very uncommon setup and I can only say that it needs some trials. Personally, I’ve never heard of any members of our community doing this and I think this is not something that WordPress would handle nicely out of the box.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Andreas Kluxen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Adam,

thanks for your answer.

Yes, using subdomains works with your plugin.

For SEO ist better to work with subdirectories. We want to use two different themes for two different groups of customer. Thats why we need to map one domain to two different multi sites.

Is there an other way to work with two themes ?

Or can I map the new domain to the main site of the multisite?

Kind regards,

Andreas

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Andreas!

We want to use two different themes for two different groups of customer.

You wish some visitors of particular site to see site with “Theme A” and some other visitors to see the same site with “Theme B”, am I getting it correctly? I understand that this is what the sub-sites would be for, therefore the “sub-directory” would load the sub-site with different themes?

I can think of two solutions:

1. Simply mapping (or even setting it instead as a main domain) a domain to the main site; then create a “subsite1” and clone it (e.g. with our Cloner plugin) to “subsite2”; finally – setting a different theme there.

This would be a simple solution and should act in a similar manner as what you’ve described in your initial post. The main drawback here would be that in case of any changes to the content of “subsite1” you’d need to manually make the same changes to “subsite2” – these sub-sites wouldn’t be in-sync.

2. Setting a single site (with single WP install) and then using a plugin such as one of “A/B testing” plugins:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/ab-testing

or “theme switcher” plugins (possibly with .htaccess redirection again)

https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/theme-switcher

Kind regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.