mapping using cname for clinets vs A record/IP

Hello Guy's I want to offer domain mapping for my members but do not want to use the A record dedicated IP option.

I know that domain mapping can be done using a cname and letting my members use our sites domain not IP. This will help us when we need to scale a client.

Help I am not clear on how I set up a WPMS to use domain mapping this way.

• aecnu

Greetings pcfmojo,

I want to offer domain mapping for my members but do not want to use the A record dedicated IP option.

Then you will not be doing domain mapping in the traditional sense and to do it as it should be done then you need a dedicated IP and "A" records. However .....

I know that domain mapping can be done using a cname and letting my members use our sites domain not IP. This will help us when we need to scale a client.

This is not domain mapping, this is in fact pointing a cname at another domain which will work by pointing the cname at the sub domain created on the MultiSite. WordPress does not map the domain it is done in this example using DNS and certainly has its drawbacks.

Help I am not clear on how I set up a WPMS to use domain mapping this way.

I do not understand. You said you know how to do it I know that domain mapping can be done using a cname and letting my members use our sites domain not IP and I am telling you how we do real Domain Mapping which require using "A" records and dedicated IP's. I also explained that you are just pointing a cname at a sub site of a MultiSite.

I do not understand what more there is to tell.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• pcfmojo

Hello Joe first off thank you for your speedy response to my question.

I understand clearly how domian mapping using an IP is done, I have several MS installs providing Domain mapping this way.

However I was doing some research about domain mapping which would allow my clients to use the domain name its self vs an IP. This is for obvious reasons: moving upgrading sites to other servers etc.

Much of my confusion has come for this plugins instructions: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

Based on my understanding of this MS domain mapping client I can offer both IP or name to my clients as long as I have the main install domain set as an Aname - which I have.

Now it shows that domain but not the subdomains. It did before with my wild card settings... now nothing real frustrated.

Do you do support our contract to help with issues like these? Any help would be great.

thx/dom

• aecnu

Greetings pcfmojo,

Though this member is currently no longer active on WPMU Dev, I would like to note that this is a very interesting find and that with the plugin mentioned above the cname probably resolves to the domain name on the dedicated IP and then the plugin resolves the remainder of the cname designation to correct sub site rather then traditionally resolving an "A" record.

Thought provoking and needs to be tested.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.