Market Press Kunaki and S3 Integration and Chained Payments Set Up

I am an independent film maker and wanted to set up a store that would help me streamline the sales and distribution of my films and products.

I purchased the wpmu membership because I wanted to have a flexible wordpress ecommerce solution that could handle multiple stores and paypal chained payments.

I don’t have time to handle all the film making and production on top of the distribution and accounting. I thought this plugin was the answer to my prayers but I am having a very hard time with it.

I was hoping I could explain what I was looking to do and solicit some help from experts on executing it. If I need some custom development I would appreciate any recommendations on where to find that.

I would like to create multiple stores where each one housed a different group of products.

Fake Example:

Store A: Fly Tying Videos

Requirements: Each video has a different production deal, so through chained payments I need XX% of sales to go to xxxx@xyz.com, XX% of sales to go to xxx@abc.com, and XX% of sales to go to xxxxxx@jkl.com. I also need the video to be for sale as a digital download, as well as have the option to be ordered as a hard copy DVD. Digital Downloads will be housed on Amazon S3 and need to be downloaded from there. DVD duplication is handled through kunaki.com so each order of a hard copy needs to be relayed to kunaki.com through their XML api which more info can be found on here: http://kunaki.com/XMLService.htm

Store B: Fly Fishing Videos

Requirements: Each video has a different production deal, so through paypal chained payments I need XX% of sales to go to xxxx@xyz.com, XX% of sales to go to xxx@abc.com, and XX% of sales to go to xxxxxx@jkl.com. I also need the video to be for sale as a digital download, as well as have the option to be ordered as a hard copy DVD. Digital Downloads will be housed on Amazon S3 and need to be downloaded from there. DVD duplication is handled through kunaki.com so each order of a hard copy needs to be relayed to kunaki.com through their XML api which more info can be found on here: http://kunaki.com/XMLService.htm

Store C: Fly Fishing Products Sold and Fulfilled by us.

Requirements: Each item has a different sales split, so through paypal chained payments I need XX% of sales to go to xxxx@xyz.com, XX% of sales to go to xxx@abc.com, and XX% of sales to go to xxxxxx@jkl.com. These are physical hard goods that I have in inventory and will need to keep track of, and ship myself. We will handle this store’s upkeep.

Store D: Fly Fishing Products Sold and Fulfilled by someone else.

Requirements: Each item has the same sales split XX% of sales to go to xxx@abc.com, and XX% of sales to go to xxxxxx@jkl.com. These are physical hard goods that someone else has in inventory and will be kept track of, and shipped by someone else. We are simple collecting a percentage for providing the marketplace. The items and inventory will be handled through the WordPress back end by someone else.

We would also like to have local fly shops put a link up on their site for the sale of our DVD’s and Downloadable videos, we need a way to manage their payment for each sale that can be directly attributed to them.

I have fiddled around with the chained payments in the Dashboard of the site I installed for all this and I’m am having an AWFUL problem just figuring out how to activate chained payments. I have figured out the API Credentials but can’t figure out any of this:

“You must register this application with PayPal using your business account login to get an Application ID that will work with your API credentials. A bit of a hassle, but worth it! In the near future we will be looking for ways to simplify this process. Register then submit your application while logged in to the developer portal. Note that you do not need an Application ID for testing in sandbox mode. More Information »

View an example form »

Application ID

PayPal Sandbox API Credentials This is neccessary in case you or users want to test checkouts on their stores.

API Username

API Password

Signature

Gateway Settings Page Message This message is displayed at the top of the gateway settings page to store admins. It’s a good place to inform them of your fees or put any sales messages. Optional, HTML allowed.”

• Justin
    • Flash Drive

Makes sense. But if I had tons of money for development, I would just pay developers I know to create a totally custom system. That’s kind of why i’m on the do it myself track. I’ll give it a shot though and see what kind of estimates come back.

Thanks.

Justin

• digitsoft
    • The Crimson Coder

I understand…but what you’re looking for here is really a custom job with many aspects.

There are only 2 choices with things like this:

1. Time – take the time to figure out how to properly configure it to do everything you mentioned above.

2. Money – pay someone that knows how.

If you go with the time option and get stumped with something specific, by all means post it and we’ll try to help.

My response was based on:

I don’t have time to handle all the film making and production on top of the distribution and accounting.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Justin,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

At the moment and to the best of my knowledge chained payments is only dividing payments between two entities and you require three from your example, at least in Market Press and I am not sure about PayPal if they in fact allow more then two.

I am aware about Kunaki and how they work, and a really good custom coder code make all this happen using Market Press with the exception of the chained payments if in fact is limited by PayPal.

Rob gave the correct information for hiring a custom coder, but before that is done it is my opinion the process needs to begin at PayPal and what PayPal chained payments limitations are.

Please let me know if in fact there can be more then two entities involved with PyaPal chained payments, which is very intriguing, and possibly offer Market Press bigger chained payments of two.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Justin
    • Flash Drive

digisoft,

You are right. I don’t really have time or know how to figure all that out. That’s why I am posting here. I was looking to see if people have run up against any of these individual requirements and if they knew of solutions or if they even executed some of those solutions.

I’ll see what comes back from the custom developers.

• Justin
    • Flash Drive

Joe,

PayPal does support multiple (more than 2) recipients in a chained payment. The other issue regarding the payments is the matter of changing the amount or percentage each party gets in the chained payment within each product instead of only specific to each sub site or sub store.

If you are interested in how I know paypal does support more than two chained payment recipients see here:

http://www.timnash.co.uk/11/2009/parellel-and-chained-paypal-adaptive-payments/

and here:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_api_APIntro

See the part entitled:

Each Receiver Pays the Fee in a Chained Payment

If the receivers pay the fee in a chained payment, each receiver pays a portion of the fee, based on their assessment. The following example shows the receivers paying the fees:

In this example, the primary receiver, identified as the merchant, pays a fee for $20 received. Each of the other receivers also pay a fee on the amount each receives.

NOTE:The scenario above is an example only and is not representative of actual PayPal fees.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Justin,

Thank you for your input. it is greatly appreciated.

Though I checked both the links, rather then rely on an almost three year old post (which I still like of course) I checked out the PayPal link in which the key is in the detail.

Meaning they do not come right out and indicate multiple receivers in their graphic representations, but what they do indeed say that is telling is The primary receiver keeps part of the payment and pays secondary receivers the remainder.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, learn something new everyday :wink:

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.