Marketpress 1.0.4 updating...

I currently have installed Marketpress v1.0.1 and a few stores already in progress (mostly demo stores) but I am ready to install this new version.

Overwrite or delete first?

Actually my main concern are the related db tables and hopefully I do not necessarily have to delete them in the process as I always end up with a problem where items do not get recreated when I do, i.e. products, categories, etc.

I am not just referring to this plugin but all plugins in general as this has been my experience so now I just leave my db intact unless I absolutely have to deal with it.

The installation page did not mention any special procedure so I assume just an overwrite should be sufficient.

Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya drdave,

No special procedure should be needed, but for best results here's what I'd do:

Deactivate MarketPress.
    Delete the folder from your FTP.
    Upload new folder and contents.
    Re-activate MarketPress.

Should be good to go from there.

Thanks!

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

Deactivate MarketPress.
    Delete the folder from your FTP.
    Upload new folder and contents.
    Re-activate MarketPress.

I recall a while back but cannot remember the exact scenario where I did something similar

Deactivate plugin (and keep this page open)
    Delete folder via FTP
    Upload new content
    Go back to the still opened page where I deactivated the plugin and reactivated

But immediately after deleting the plugin via FTP, I may have refreshed the page where I deactivated the plugin but ended up with problems. Cannot recall exactly where I made the error though. So I assume you mean to leave the deactivated plugin page open during this process or does it matter? I already have a few stores installed.

Sorry for been so picky but at this point if at all possible, I won't want to mess up something I cannot easily fix.

I appreciate your expert advise.

Thanks masonjames

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya drdave,

Just follow those steps in that order. No need to refresh any pages or anything in between. Deactivate the plugin within wp admin, then delete and upload new version via ftp. Only after new version is updated should you reload the admin page and reactivate the plugin.

All information is safely tucked away in the database so nothing we do to the file structure will affect that. :smiley:

Of course, it's never a bad idea to make a back up of your entire database ahead of time just to be extra safe.

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

My bad

The plugin is not activated on the main blog only on about 3 sub blogs.

I deleted via ftp and uploaded the newer version without deactivating first.

I figured in this case that would be the best approach. I never even realized I did not activate it on my main blog.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.