marketpress. Adding the store name to the product in global product grid view

Hi
Ive added a screenshot.

Is it possible to get the authors name, or store title to be underneath the product title ?.

thanks

carl

• cstevenson
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Actually I just found out about template tags so I think its connected to what I want to achieve. But I could only find tags relating to.the authors name on a post. I guess its hard to add thename of the blog(store) to a post(product) using the template tags.

• cstevenson

Yes its gridmarket. I've tried a couple of things but nothing in WordPress seems to give me the option.
    I am wondering if I can just get the name added as a line of text when the post is written. Maybe as a hidden field in the new product form. So its in the post as a plain text field. And when the post is displayed its just displaying its own fields rather than trying to get the author or blog name on the fly.

I guess that means adding a new database field so probably is just as complicated for me to do.

The other option is to use the product title field and just append the authors name to the end on a new line. This would work visually... eg

A wooden table and chairs
    by Oak Designs

I think I could add this to the "new product" form more easily than adding new fields.

I am not concerned whether its a link or not. Just the name will do.

Sorry I am learning PHP as I go. so not sure of the possibilities yet.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Yeah, the author name would be much simpler. The problem is that if you use bloginfo you're just gonna pull the main site's info, and in the custom WP_query that is being run to pull the posts the sub-site title isn't available.

Doing a custom field would be quite a bit of work, but could get the job done - of course then each sub-site must remember to fill the field.

I'm gonna ask one of our theme designers here if she has any pointers on adding author name to the posts in gridmarket.

Thanks!

• cstevenson

great thanks

I think its a useful feature for the global product listing at least so authors can be credited. Its common on craft sites anyway.

Someone mentioned that some themes had authors names displayed in posts and some didnt. I guess your designer knows how that works.

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

I'm glad you mentioned this because I've been meaning to ask it.

This is something that I think would be incredibly useful and it should indicate the name of the selling website as a link to the homepage. I was thinking it should be implemented on a level where it could be used as an argument in a shortcode or in a marketplace code snippet.

There is a strong argument for this, marketplaces tend to be displayed as anonymous, however, best practices from these types of sites (Etsy, Artfire, etc.) all include this information in the data about a product in the marketplace. It'll also help with branding issues for both consumers and sellers.

This is a great suggestion. I'm looking for +1s from other Multisite MarketPress users!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

As with anything sure it would be possible but you would be looking at a custom query to do this. I'd suggest getting it looked at either as a feature enhancement to MarketPress (would need the +1 and demand for that) or as a custom development job (shouldn't take a developer long to do).

It's going to be a query that's for sure but to get the right one that works and also doesn't cause issues if has to be used several times - that would take something developer wise who knows how to optimise queries to not be server intensive.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.