Marketpress and Genesis: any updates?

Hi guys,

a while back, November I think, there was a thread that said Marketpress 3.0 would better integrate with the Genesis framework, and I've been delaying some updates to wait for that.

Is there any ETA yet? The promise of MP templates & pages being possible/easier to edit and customize in Genesis is what I've been waiting for (it shouldn't be Mission Impossible to selectively make certain pages full width, and a couple of other things).

If that's still too far off, a foolproof hack to make product listings and product category listings be full width using Genesis 2.x would be a great help :slight_smile:

Seriously, none of the tricks suggested in other threads here work for me, and I'm a bit tired of not knowing how much longer I have to push off this project. At this point, even switching to a different plugin to get a product catalog might not be an option.

• Michelle Shull

Hi, atouchofsummer!

We're sorry that your project has been delayed. We're forbidden from giving ETAs in the forum for any of our products for exactly this reason, delays always happen in development. We certainly didn't mean to cause you, personally, any delays with your project.

As for using Genesis and MarketPress, I actually got this job by setting up a MarketPress store in Genesis. If you can explain the specific issues you're having, I would be more than happy to help you get your Genesis theme showing off your MarketPress products. I found it took a little CSS, a couple of custom templates, and a bit of imagination, but I was able to get the store I wanted. The team hired me, so I think it turned out okay. :slight_smile:

What are you wanting from your store? Are you using a Genesis child theme? Are you having style or functionality issues when you use MarketPress?

If you're just wanting to vent, I understand that, too.

Thanks for your feedback here.

• atouchofsummer

Hi Michelle!

I am able to customize everything I wanted except making certain archives display full width, no sidebars.

As I said in the original post, I want to be able to make the main products listing be full width, and also the product category listings be full width; preferably not making a difference if the listing is List View or Grid View.

I used to be able to get this to work without a problem in Genesis 1.9 and earlier, but when Genesis 2.0 came out, they added a feature to auto-generate custom post type archives, and this doesn't play well with the template design for the CPT structures in Marketpress, Directory and Classifieds. Or rather, Marketpress doesn't behave well with the hooks & filters Genesis provides in order to allow people to define Archives settings for the cpt's.

It's the one major thing I still can't achieve, and being able to customize those templates shouldn't quite this difficult (count the number of other threads here where people actually abandoned trying to use custom archive templates for Marketpress with Genesis and chose other carts instead). And for the site I'm working on, it's not even a store, the plugin is in catalog mode.

I love Genesis and I enjoy the ease of use of many WPMU Plugins, but the fact that it's so damned hard to get them to play nicely together all the time actually handcuffs me in terms of options I'd love to provide for clients.

A few other issues with WPMU plugins & Genesis we were able to solve by giving WMPU techs access to a Genesis sandbox site I set up just for them to play in, but this was one that wasn't able to be solved at the time.

Summer

• Sajid

Hi @atouchofsummer! Hope you are doing good :slight_smile:

Customizing MarketPress and overriding its core template is very easy. You can use your own custom templates for listing products, detail page and even cart/checkout pages.

As I said in the original post, I want to be able to make the main products listing be full width, and also the product category listings be full width; preferably not making a difference if the listing is List View or Grid View.

You can create your custom template for product listings and category listings page. The easiest way to start is to copy and rename a file from your active WordPress theme. A full-width template might be a good choice. Copy full-width page template a rename it with "mp_productlist.php". This page must have MarketPress loop/functions instead of genesis loop/functions. Replace genesis functions with
    mp_list_products();

and
    mp_products_filter();

1. "mp_list_products" Displays a list of products according to preference. Optional values default to the values in Presentation Settings -> Product List

2. "mp_products_filter" will display the product list filter dropdowns.

More functions can be found in template-functions.php file located at /marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php.

I used to be able to get this to work without a problem in Genesis 1.9 and earlier, but when Genesis 2.0 came out, they added a feature to auto-generate custom post type archives, and this doesn't play well with the template design for the CPT structures in Marketpress, Directory and Classifieds. Or rather, Marketpress doesn't behave well with the hooks & filters Genesis provides in order to allow people to define Archives settings for the cpt's.

Hopefully the above method will work fine for you to override default template. But if there are major updates in new version of genesis, then I have to get developer feedback on this matter or wait for upcoming version of MarketPress.

I am glad to know that you are enjoy and love our plugins. We are always here to help you, whatever way possible.

Please let me know the results after trying your custom template for products archive.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• atouchofsummer

Hi Sajid, thanks for your suggestions!

Some of these have worked, but I have more tweaking and code to tinker with, it seems. I will have to play around with things and see, because I need to figure out what's going on with the header.

The main issue that's part of this customization that I'm currently tracking down is that the title "Products" is no longer displayed... instead, the title of the very first product of the list (in alphabetical order) is given the title of the archive. It's weird, and I haven't quite tracked it down yet.

If I run into another wall, I'll be back :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.